MacPro Dual Quad Harpertown freezing issue on Vista64

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by parelius, Mar 18, 2008.

1. parelius macrumors newbie

Hi everyone on the forums. Im new here but i think this might be the best place to post this.

I have 2 macpro´s, 1 at work and 1 at home both are running Vista64 with out any issues EXEPT the freesing issue on the one at home.

The one i have at home is a Dual Quad Harpertown @2.8ghz, 16gb ram, 8800GT gfx card and i have ocational freezes when the computer is left for some time. (like over night).IT totaly locks upp and i need to shut it down by holding the power button) It has no power management running (not going to sleep or anything). Its pretty identical to the previous thread about the same issue on OS X. Starting to thing it might be a heat problem with the 8800 GT card.

The on at work is a Dual Quad Clovertown @ 3ghz, 16gb ram, with a Quadro 5600 FX gfx card and it has no issues what so ever.

the Os setup is the same and all apps are the same.
    Ive tryed updating the Display adapter driver but no results.

I also have a Wacom board on both machines.

Anyone had the same problem?

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Wow, I dont know. But sure sound like their are a lot of the earley 2008 mac pro's with issues. Reboot from sleep and frezzing from long periods of inactivity.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Not really, I've probably heard about 1-2 people with freezing with freezing because of no long activity. I've been using mine for 24/7 for the past 2 months and everything is fine, no freeze nothing just blazing fast speed that I've never seen in another machine!! :D

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Maybe your right, I don't know? I have been saving for the last year for a imac
    Then decided that a mac pro would better fit my needs. I have enough now for a 2.8 quad, 8800GT and a 20"ACD. Holding me back know is the reboot from sleep issue. I know people mainly post when they do have a problem and not when their machine is running like a well greased gear. How ever, I am such a procrastinator. That by the time I feel the time is right to buy one. I will be buying the nealham macpro :) or when my current mac can now longer hold me over.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you can wait it out, definitely wait out till nehalem.