Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeeBee007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I am setting up my home studio. I've read great things about Apogee Duet which will work great for my music and voice recordings and playback. However, I understand it does not have MIDI compatibility. If I want to record my MIDI keyboard into a song would I need to buy another interface or adapter for the Duet?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Well, it wouldn't be an adapter "for the Duet," but yes, you'd need a separate adapter to take MIDI into your computer—assuming your keyboard does not have a built-in USB interface.

As for what kind of adapter, you'll have lots of choices. M-Audio makes the UNO, which is a one-in/one-out little device for about $40. MOTU makes rack-mount 8-in/8-out boxes that range from $150 on up, just to give you an idea.

I've used my Duet with a wireless MIDI-USB adapter (the M-Audio MidAir, to be exact) and it works fine.

You could always choose an audio interface that includes MIDI, but that would take the Duet out of the running (and I know how pleasant it is to lust after the Duet :D)

ZeeBee007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Thanks for the clarity and the product suggestions ... they were very helpful. I have my mind set on the Duet and wanted to use MIDI on occasion as well.I

Since you have had a good experience adding the wireless MIDI-USB adapter (the M-Audio MidAir, to be exact) I'm going to look into getting that as well.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.