MacPro DVI Issues - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darthraige, Jan 19, 2010.

1. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Sorry if this post exists somewhere, but:

Anyone else having an issue with connecting monitors to a MacPro? My problem is this. I want to use the DVI cables to plug into the Geforce 7300 GT, when I do plug them in, nothing happens. No picture. However, if I use a VGA cable and the adapter to DVI, it works.

It's weird, because the MacPro let me use straight up DVI cables before. Am I missing something? Does something need to be reset? I tried zapping the PRAM and Repairing Permissions and got nowhere. Any other tricks?

Running a MacPro 2x2GHz Dual-Core Intel Zeon, 6GB Ram, OSX 10.5.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Your mac detects this display, but no picture? Is your monitor works with other computer with this DVI cable? Once i had similar problem and solution was damaged DVI input in display. Tried few DVI cables and graphic cards and still blank screen. With VGA cable was always OK. Try other DVI cable first.

3. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I've tried every possible thing. Tried about 10 DVI cables and the monitors work on other computers. The Mac doesn't even detect the display. It's stupid.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I uderstand that you tried few displays, not one? Both DVI ports (Dr. Pants mentioned important thing)? Then it seems to be a card fault...
    No reset is required, it should work P&P.

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

What monitor model are you using?

I can remember when I bought my second monitor one of the ports had decided to die - my G5 detected it, but gave a different model number then the one it was. Fortunately I had other ports to plug it into which registered it correctly.

Just throwing that possibility out there.

6. Bentov macrumors regular

been there..

I believe you might have the same issue I did, sort of... There are digital lcd's and analog-digital lcds. You have the second variety which is why the one method works and not the other. When I bought my mac last year, my viewsonic 20" would show the apple logo, and then go black. So I bought a 24" that night and that fixed the issue. It's not the exact issue, but close enough that I suspect that you have the same problem.

7. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I may have a different issue, I did have monitors that worked straight up DVI. I switched them out for bigger ones and the DVI doesnt work with the new ones. I then plugged my old ones back in DVI and they didn't work again either.