MacPro: Early 2008 vs Late 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by liquid stereo, Nov 25, 2008.

1. liquid stereo macrumors regular

Is there really a "Late 2008" model? If so, what is the difference.

I ask because I recently got a MacPro and according to Apple's hardware test, it is an Early 2008.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Whoever said there was a Late 2008?

That's the notebooks. The Mac Pro hasn't changed since the Tuesday before MacWorld 2008 in January.

3. liquid stereo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Cheers!

4. jwt macrumors 6502

The "Late" implies there will be more than one. Since mid-2008 is over, the only thing left is late-2008. If there is no "Late 2008 Mac Pro," then the "Early 2008 Mac Pro" should just be "2008 Mac Pro."

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... no. It's just to distinguish from the previous model that looks exactly the same externally.

There was a Mid 2005 iBook G4 with no early or late. There was a Mid 2007 iMac with no early or late. There is currently an Early 2008 iMac and there will not be a late 2008 iMac.

There will also be no Late 2008 Mac Pro. The chips aren't ready.

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

should be by whose standards?

They can call it whatever they want. Apple knows it won't be releasing monthly revisions to the Mac Pro, but they might do a revision in 2008, maybe even a couple, so they call it "early 08" and give themselves room if circumstances dictate an upgrade.

They don't update the mac pro very often. In fact they do a terrible job updating it as of late. But when they do, it is usually a great update, so it 'lasts' a while.

My early 08 mac pro is, other than its graphics card, one of the flat-out fastest machines you can buy for less than $10K.

Less so than it was in February, but still a hoss. I would say 2008 was a slow year for computer improvements, honestly, across the industry. Everyone knows where the market is going, it's just taking a while for it to get there...

BTX didn't catch on. LED screens are taking forever to march up the size chain and down the price chain. ssd is finally here in a financially plausible form, but it is an infant technology. multi core has arrived, but software isn't taking advantage of it yet for the most part, so the potential is not being utilized by average people. And the economy in most parts of the world is a big pile of suck right now.

The early 08 mac pro will be the only 08 mac pro. but the 09 mac pro will be better.