MacPro Early 2009 No Power :(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dannyzx, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dannyzx macrumors newbie

dannyzx

Hey guys, i got a MacPro 09 8 Cores and has no power, i tried taking it down to minimum configuration, I suspect the backboard to be the culprit. I'm an Apple Tech and work at a service center, I already ordered Power Supply and backboard. Ive been reading that I can use a flathead screw driver to turn on computer by shorting two pads on the board.. i checked the service manual and says nothing on how to jump it, but that u can.. has anybody tried jumping the Mac Pro through the Pads? And has anyone had a Mac Pro not turn on with minimal configuration?

2. Earl Urly macrumors regular

did you even check to see if any leds on the LOGIC BOARD came on when you hit power if not then its the power supply

you can start old imac g5s by shorting two pins but i wouldnt do that to a vastly more expensive machine

3. dannyzx thread starter macrumors newbie

dannyzx

yeah, when i press the DIAG button it only gives the 5V STNDBY amber led. I took it to minimum configuration and no luck. I doubt its the processor board, hopefully when the new Power Supply and Backplane Board arrive it will comepletely resolve the issue.. i just want some more info, the shorting was suggested by the service manual and my superiors at apple. Im going on a complete limb and thinkin that it has to be the backplane board... My girlfriend told me that the night before it went kapoot there was a power outage, I have it on a battery backup but who knows... thing is that the unit was off the whole night. Wanted to go 100% on the power issue so i ordered the PSU and backplane board, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated and well tested :) :apple: