MacPro + EyeTV + Cable HD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by albeik, Mar 3, 2008.

1. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

Hi Guys,

Got my Mac Pro (8 Core) loving it... very fast... :)

I also purchased EyeTv with the v3.0 software. Without connecting it to an antenna (I have one in order) I was able to get 2 HD Channels. :p (FYI: I live in Stow, MA)

Currently I have my Cable box connected to my Mac Pro as well, via Firewire to watch HDTV and record any I find interesting.

Took some pics with my iPhone - sorry for the quality (not good lighting) and I was still cleaning up the room!

box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

set up and running
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

screenshot
    [​IMG]

Just wanted to share with you guys! Very happy with the purchase thus far! Now I am looking for a portable as part of my business trips (Air??) :)

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

So it's the cable box that's pumping in the HD channels right now? Is EyeTV the program you're using to watch it? I've debated getting an HD antenna for my EyeTV Hybrid. I live fairly close to the major channels in my area so I suspect reception would be good.

3. albeik thread starter macrumors regular

albeik

1) I am using VLC to watch the HD from the HD Cable Box.
    2) I am using EyeTV to watch HD off the Air from the EyeTV Hybrid USB.

The easiest way to watch HD from the Cable box is:
    1) Make sure your HD Box has a firewire port and is enabled.
    2) Download FireWireSDK26 (or the latest SDK) from Apple.
    3) Run AVCBrowser (from the SDK) and you get this:
    [​IMG]
    4) Click on "Open Device-Control Panel" which will get you this:
    [​IMG]
    5) Click on "Open Device" (top-right) to start using the device
    6) Once it is opened select the "Panel" Tab
    7) Click on "Start Viewer" which will open VLC to show whatever the box is spitting out
    8) You can use the controls to change channels or type in a channel

Note that some HD channels are encrypted (like HBO) and won't be visible via the firewire. :(

Hope that helps.

4. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Ahh i'd love to use this! What cable provider and box do you have? I live in MA and have Comcast and would love to get an HD box to go with my mac!

5. SilverL macrumors member

Actually, by law, every cable provider has to give you a firewire cable box if HD is available.

6. albeik thread starter macrumors regular

albeik

Comcast and the HD box is Motorola DCT-6200. This box has 2 firewire ports!

Enjoy!

The only thing is that iChat only supports SD :p ...

7. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

Too bad the satellite companies don't... :(

8. mike12806 macrumors 6502

what do you mean ichat? Doesn't it play through VLC? And can you get any channel except the premium ones? Im skeptical that there must be some DRM built in here somewhere!

9. albeik thread starter macrumors regular

albeik

oh. I wanted to use my HD video camera with iChat to chat with friends, but it'll only work if I changed the Camera to SD mode. That's a different issue - not related to the TV stuff.

With VLC everything plays fine and yes - I can get all the channels except the "encrypted" ones; whatever they may be - mostly HBO, Cinemax, etc...

You can check out http://www.antennaweb.org for all the available Off-the-Air Free (non-encrypted) HD channels. :)

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That is AWESOME!
    I know this post is a few months old... but I just tried it on Comcast in Miami and it is really cool. Quality is EXCELLENT! Thanks for the tip =)

11. utekineir macrumors 6502

I have a clear qam eye tv in central ma.

Comcast has all the hd encrypted besides the things like cbs, nbc, fox, etc

12. kenshinxue macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks so much for the post.

Let me put it simply, do you mean that if I subscribe to the cable HD, I can use the firewire to connect my mac to the cable box to watch the HD content. So I will not need the Eyetv, is that correct?

I am not so sure that why you still use the eyetv, just to watch those free over the air clear-qam channels?

Thanks.

13. kenshinxue macrumors newbie

If I use eyetv to connect mac to hd cable box (use analog line), can I watch the encrypted hd content? (I know in non-hd resolution, can I?)

14. albeik thread starter macrumors regular

albeik

That is correct.

It is just easier with EyeTV to schedule recordings and switch channels right on my computer. I can also be recording something on EyeTV and watching HD from my Cable box at the same time. :p ... At the moment, I moved the HD Cable box downstairs (in the lounge) and have it connected to our TV. So, I am only using EyeTV for Free-over-the-air HD channels.

15. albeik thread starter macrumors regular

albeik

Yes (assuming Analog meaning the YPrPb cables or S-Video). The HD Cable doesn't know the different between whether you are connected to an EyeTV or an actual TV in this case.

16. kenshinxue macrumors newbie

Thanks. Why there is no product to make the mac function like a real HDTV! I mean to watch encrypted content in its original resolution instead of using the analog way...