MacPro fans run high speed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ryanworth, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ryanworth macrumors newbie

I have a MacPro 2.66 quad-core intel. 4gb ram. I have a hard-drive from my old Powermac that i upgraded to 10.5.5 for this computer.

Everytime I put my computer to sleep, and then wake it back up. The fans spin up to maximum speed and all the fans are running really loud and then after about a minute all spin to normal speed.

I don't have any other flaws except for this. Why could this be?

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Possible Fireware upgrade...? Is your Mac OS X up to date?

3. ryanworth thread starter macrumors newbie

I update the software all the time.

How do I upgrade my firmware or even know if it's correct?

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

It's supposed to happen – it's to clear any debris that may have entered since you last used your machine.

On firmware, it will come to you from the normal software update route. So you don't have to worry about it as long as you check regularly or set auto update.

5. WillThePlank macrumors member

WillThePlank

Really? i have the same mac pro bar 2 gigs of ram and mine doesn't do that when i put it into sleep ..hangon *puts to sleep*

nope doesn't do it for me so that is kinda odd.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Is this in addition to the hard drive that came with the MP? Did it only start when you added the one from the old PowerMac?

Here's my hunch: what graphics card do you have? With the X1900 XT, the fan on the card would always spin up loudly for a few moments at startup and waking from sleep. Since replacing it I hear no fan noise at all at those times — and I have three hard drives and 6 pairs of ram in mine.

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

My Mac Pro spins the fans up to full speed for a second when I initially hit the power button on the front, or bring her out of sleep. But it never lasts a minute or two. And irishgrizzly is right; the firmware is designed so that the fans spin at max speed prior to stable operation, simply to clear dust or debris from the axle that the fan spins on. ;) It's also partially a result of the ~1kw PSU boosting all that power on initial boot.

But as long as the fans die down, you should be fine. Nothing wrong with them spinning quicker.