Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daschund

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!
Hi all,

Don't know if anyone had this problem before, but it's become kinda regular with me that the display would start to flicker heavily at the same time that the computer would freeze completely. Nothing works (keyboard, mouse, etc) and the only way to get out of it is to press and hold the power button and do a hard shut down. I'm attaching a video of what the display does when it freezes. Also, if I try to access the computer via Screen Share from another computer after the freeze, all I get is a black screen.

Here is the video:

http://files.me.com/daschund/ojol8k

Any help?

Thanks!

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
looks like a GPU issue

what kind of GPU do you have?

Apple menu -> about this mac -> more info -> PCI cards

Look for an ATI or NVIDIA entry and let us know the model

Daschund

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!
looks like a GPU issue

what kind of GPU do you have?

Apple menu -> about this mac -> more info -> PCI cards

Look for an ATI or NVIDIA entry and let us know the model

I have the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.

So is it possible then that the GPU makes the whole computer freeze? I can't even pause iTunes via the keyboard when that happens...

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
is it still under warranty?

take it in and get it replaced.

if its not under warranty,

bake the 8800gt in the oven.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I have the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.

So is it possible then that the GPU makes the whole computer freeze? I can't even pause iTunes via the keyboard when that happens...
Yes.
The whole Mac freezes and you are only able to "resurrect" it by force shutdown… only for the whole process to repeat.

Try booting in Safe Mode…
You lose a lot of graphic support — but you can get a modicum of work done as long as it is not graphics intensive.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Bummer. I guess safe mode won't work for me as what I do is pretty much graphics intense... Mainly Photoshop.

Any recommendation of a good video card?
Well options are limited. :(
What Mac Pro do you have? 1,1 or…?

Also consider buying a PC card and flashing the ROM to work on your Mac. I wasn't brave enough and paid the Apple premium for this one.
If you do go the flash your own card route start with Cindori's excellent advice and tools:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/877441/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/713428/

Daschund

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!
Mine is the MacPro3,1

I know we don't have much alternatives, I was just wondering if anyone have bought any of the available ones and their thoughts on it. Are you happy with yours?

The one I have now, the Nvidia 8800 has 512Mb, would I benefit from going up to one that has 1GB?

Sorry about the questions, but I'm a completely noob when it comes to video cards.

Thanks for all your help guys!

grondak

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Hi Daschund,

My Mac Pro 3,1 has exactly the same behavior that you show you in your video. I have the 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285. I just upgraded to 10.6.4 and still have the problem. I'm going to reset the PRAM in a minute and see if that causes the problem to disappear for a while. I'll reply to this thread with a status update either a) in a couple of days, or b) the next time the flickering/lockup happens.

-- Grondak

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Personally, I would buy a GT 120 from the Apple store and wait for the 58xx cards to be released which it looks like will happen soon. It's not a big performer but it's also not too expensive and should get you through until the new cards come out and we know what the flashing options are.

The problem with buying an Apple 4870 card is that they're poor value for money right now as they're quite old. The problem with flashing a PC 4870 card is that it's very difficult to find a an original reference design card which will take the original Mac 4870 ROM. There are a lot of cheaper built non reference design cards which have been having issues of late with Apple system updates, because they require altered ROM versions. Unless you want to spend time on these forums reading up on patches and workarounds, I'd keep away from the flashing options right now.

If your 8800 card is out of warranty, you could try baking it in the oven to see if that eliminates any soldered contact problems but I'd google the whole thing first to make sure you know what you're getting into. I'd also be ready to drop some cash for a replacement card in case it doesn't work.

You could also contact Apple and tell them you've got a faulty 8800 and that there are well documented reliability issues with them and see if they'll help you out.....Can't do any harm.

Kaji79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Are you comfortable opening it up? Mine did the same thing, so I pulled everything slotted out. I used some compressed air to blow it out, and reinstalled everything and have not had a problem since. Even though most hardware has clamps or screws, socket creep still happens.

Daschund

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!
Are you comfortable opening it up? Mine did the same thing, so I pulled everything slotted out. I used some compressed air to blow it out, and reinstalled everything and have not had a problem since. Even though most hardware has clamps or screws, socket creep still happens.

Hi Kaji,

I opened it yesterday night and removed the video card, blew it with compressed air as much as I could and then re-installed it. Let's see how it goes, Tonight and tomorrow will probably be the test as I have a lot of work to be done.

I'll let you guys know if it makes any difference!

Thanks,

Daschund

grondak

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
I upgraded to the newest GTX 285 drivers and I haven't seen the problem in a week. I'm hopeful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.