Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
I recently (last week) purchased a MacPro base config to which I will be adding 2gig of RAM from OWC and two 400gig Hard Disk Drives from Frys

My question.

How best to configure the use of the disk drives.... it will have the 250gig that came with it and two 400 gig. I will also be installing PARALLELS and WinXP in the next few weeks.

I figure if I need to move data/apps around to make one of the 400's the boot drive and relegate the 250 to scratch or data disk that now would be the easiest time to do so

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Whatever Floats Your Boat

I say whatever you need to do, do it.

I would never use Windows so I wouldn't need to install it, I would RAID 0 the two 400GB drives for speed and make it my boot drive and use the spare 250 as scratch until I got two Hitachi 1TB drives. I would get rid of the 250 or get an external case for it to use it in the future or to hold my movies or something, mirror the two 1TB drives for security, then I would be set for a good while.

I would be a little worried about having the two 1TB drives holding all of my important info, so I would probably get another 1TB drive from somewhere (maybe that G-Tech G-Safe 1.5TB drive... it can be found at http://www.g-technology.com for $1200) else and back up the info a third time. Since space is cheap... I might as well get lots of it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.