MacPro having multiple issues after storage.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by otchete, Jul 22, 2009.

1. otchete macrumors newbie

Hello. I own a G5 Intel Mac Pro. OSX 10.5.7. I have 2 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors. I have 10 GB of RAM; 2 that came with the Mac and 8 I bought from iRam and installed. I have the 320 GB HD that came with the Mac, and a 1 TB HD I bought and installed that does not have OSX on it (just for file storage). No RAID card. I bought the Mac in November, so about 8 months ago. I have a 3 year Apple Care, but would like to just figure this out from home. I put the Mac together (intalled the RAM, HD and software) in December and ran it until the end of May, no problems (except a small problem with Boot Camp that I resolved and never reinstalled). It ran like a charm, never even locked up.

Then in the first couple of days of June, I was moving into a new house. I needed to put my Mac into storage for a few weeks while I moved in. It was transported safely, stored in a safe and dry environment, and was there about 2-3 weeks. Eventually, I picked up my Mac, and moved it to my house, but didn't actually set it back up until a week ago (busy schedule). Again, it was safe until I set it up, so I don't suspect it was damaged at all.

I set it up, and on day one it ran fine. Day two as well. Then around day three, the pixels on my screen went haywire. I thought it might be the monitor, but when I tried it on another computer, it was fine. I PRam reset on a restart and reconnected all the cables and it was fine (I suspect it might have been either a loose cable or the graphics card... Not 100% sure either way). That problem didn't reoccur. Then later I sat down at my desk and the Mac just shut off. The second I sat down, it just shut off immediately. I turned it on and it was fine. But over the next couple of days it would randomly shut off now and again. The room is cooled with fans, one of which is near the Mac, so I doubt it is overheating. Two nights ago, I had a Kernel Panic while my screen saver was playing. This morning I woke up to find the Mac had frozen on my desktop as I had left it last night (clock showing a time shortly after I stopped using it).

I doubt it is the fact that I installed RAM because it ran fine for months before hand, but maybe it could have come loose? Could inactivity have played a part? I run a small recording studio out of my home on this Mac, and I'd like to have my station back up and running. I appreciate any help or trouble shooting I can get.

Thanks.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Well you don't have a G5 Intel.

Did you run the hardware test on the install disc?

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I laughed so hard at that. :p

4. otchete thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't run that yet, looking for the disc.