MacPro: Hd & TFT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WoOdPiPeS, Jan 29, 2008.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi all,
    Next week my new MP will be at home. For that day, I want to buy 3Hds in my local shop (not by Apple), and I would like to ask for some help. I'll need 2Hds 250Gb and 1Hd 500Gb. Any brand? Any model? I'll use them for Video editing.
    I would olso need one or two 22" TFT or may be one 24", but I can not afford an Apple screen...

Another question: the hd wich comes with the computer is a 320Gb with 8Mb buffer... as 320 is buy far enough for me, I could remove it and put a smaller 250hd with 16 or 32Mb buffer. Would this make sense? would I feel a velocity increasing?

Thanks in advance,

WP

2. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I can't really answer either of your questions, but I'll recommend that, since you're video editing, you get at least 1 500GB hard drive in place of the 2x250GB's...with video editing, that will take up space quickly, and with all the bays full with the stock hard drive and the 3 hard drives you plan on getting, if you want to upgrade, you'll have a spare hard drive laying around...

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

there is no such thing as a 250 with 16/32MB cache - 8mb is what you get with that capacity.

4. kdb31 macrumors member

What type of work are you doing? That might help people better give you advice - like if a more expensive panel is worth it. While I've never looked at any benchmarks showing the performance difference that larger vs smaller cache would make (if that exists?) I think the speed variation is a lot more dependent on the overall harddrive design. For example a higher platter density is going to give you faster times which is what makes the Samsung F1 drives the fastest right now at I think 334gb per platter. I'll try and get some numbers for you when I have a chance. Storagereview.com has some good info as well you can check out

5. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answering. I'll do DVCPro 50 Editing, but I'm a musician. Music apps are hungry but not as hungry as Video things... so, I want to be sure to buy a good drives.
    I've seen some post about these Samsung... seems good and fast... but I really don't need more than 2x250 and 1x500. My pocket after buying MacPro it's not too healthy, so I have to go for that config. If in a future need more space... I'll remove them for bigger ones.
    The same reason for the TFT's... can't afford Apple screens...

Thanks,

WP