MacPro HDD problem...Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Paratel, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

I have a MacPro 2.66 Quad Core. I was running out of space on my drive so I got a 1TB Western Digital Green drive and transferred all of my iTunes library on to it. My problem is that when I reboot or turn the computer off, the drive does not show up. I have to pull it out, reboot, put it back in and wait for it to recognize it and then it asks me to initialize it. I initialize, then I have to reboot and sometimes it appears and sometimes I have to go through the process again, Any ideas? I have moved it into a different bay with no change. I have also noticed that it takes my Mac forever to reboot when that drive is in and it is faster with it out. Drive going bad?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You've tried a different bay, so it sounds like the drive on its way out to me.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yep, you could have a damaged drive or perhaps your partition tables on both drives are less than ideal.

In both cases a backup is urgently called for.

Post your MP's answer to a terminal input of "diskutil list" to have a look at the partition table issue and get a backup quickly.