MacPro HDD running constantly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andrewhu, Jan 8, 2010.

1. andrewhu macrumors newbie

Hi, One of the hdd's in my macpro runs constantly. The computer is constantly reading and writing to the hd. Not sure which one. CHecked processes and it shows that it is in fact doing so, even with no open applications. Not sure where to look or how to fix it. SLowing down my computer as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mumford macrumors regular

What do you mean by "runs constantly"... as in spinning? It will do that unless you enable Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible under the Energy Saver preference pane.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He doesn't mean spinning. He means it's reading and writing constantly. Like if he was low on RAM and the hard drive was being used as a cache.

4. andrewhu thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: running constantly

Yes the hd is being read and written to constantly. If I go under activity monitor it is process name "mds" under "root" user. It is using 25% of my cpu. I have a MP 1,1 with dualcore 3ghz. processors, 8gb of ram. I do have the "drives set to sleep when possible" option on.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have had a problem with both my HDDs that i have had in my MBP. The stock Fujitsu and now the Hitachi both are getting accessed at random times when the lid is closed. Safari isn't running, neither is iTunes or anything other than Finder. I don't know why this happens. Is it the settings? They are default, as I haven't changed anything.

OP, how old is the said hard drive?

6. andrewhu thread starter macrumors newbie

re: hdd's running

Yesterday I booted up from another internal drive that had just os 10.6 on it. My other drive had 10.6.2. Well the problem went away until I tried to connect my ipod touch. I had to update to itunes 9 for that to connect so after I did the problem returned. I only updated itunes, and imovie. I didn't update the system to 10.6.2. I thought maybe that was the problem, guess not. So it seems the problem came with the new itunes or my ipod??? Not sure. Anyone else have a similar problem?

7. bert3081 macrumors newbie

bert3081

It might be that your harddrive is indexing. Look at the spot light symbol, if there is a dot in the magnifiglass that mean it is indexing. The time of indexing is vary, depend on how big is your harddrive.

Or

you can use "cleanmymac" app. to clean out the caches.

Goodluck

8. andrewhu thread starter macrumors newbie

update

I think I may have stumbled onto a solution. And no the hard drive was not indexing, no little dot. I downloaded the trial version of cocktail and proceeded to clean the caches, voila problem seems to have disappeared. Will pass on any more info if I find any changes. Thanks for all the ideas and support. :)