MacPro Horizontal Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fxdrew, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Fxdrew macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it is same to have a MacPro stored and operating on it's side. I'm trying to adapt a roadcase for my new tower and this the only way I can fit it in.

Thank you in advance!

-Drew

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I remember Apple discouraged owners of the G5 from running them horizontally and mainly in the upright position.

however working in alot of studios and work stations, they seem have abit more flexibility..with whichever way you want to operate them.

you shouldnt run into any problems as far as I can tell; when I used to work on systems g5's to MP's replace memory or HDDs, graphics cards etc I'd test them on their side and let them burn in for a while etc etc.
    No heat issues as there is plenty of ventilation on each end and doesnt restrict heat from dissipating.

Some advice I picked up; make sure the fit is snug and that both the front and back are supported; that way it doesnt move around if its traveling or even stationary; and also keep it with the access panel facing upwards..always seems to be the best for heat movement.

hope that helps some...post some pics up if youcan when you finish assembling it; I'd be very interested in how it turns out for you.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The G5 issue may have been related to those with liquid cooling.

4. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

There shouldn't be a difference in which position you keep your Mac Pro, in my opinion, the only thing to check are the hard drives, although I would say that every actual HDD can also be placed vertically...
    Every other component (except the DVD drive of course) of the Computer has no problems whith non-standard operating positions.

5. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

As long as all of your connectors are still in place, and there aren't any fans being blocked, you should be fine running it on it's side.

However, like Umbongo said above, the old G5's (and some with liquid cooling), may have an issue with running sideways.