Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
I've got an iMac 2.8Ghz extreme with 4GB Ram. I'm editing HD video in Final Cut Pro and using Motion. Everything seems SLOW!! A new MacPro with 8GB Ram (base chipset) will cost me around £2300. Should I simply buy it now or wait? What will the next MacPro be...and when? And will there be a significant speed bump or difference?

~Wibble~

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
England
Yes why not, altho if you can afford it i'd go for the mac pro, then you wont have the constant worry "should i buy now" cause you can just update it.

~Wiggle~

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
If you need it now, get it now. Otherwise wait to purchase one until you need it. I have no idea what the new Mac Pro will be or when it will come out.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
There is a good chance a new Mac Pro will be released in January, there should definatly be one before Q2 2009. It will be faster, maybe 15%-35% on the processors over the current one. Overall a faster architecture, better graphics cards offered, maybe a larger stock hard drive. Nothing revolutionary.

You're looking at a 3-5 month wait. Also don't buy your memory from Apple, buy it from somewhere like crucial.com in the UK.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
And will there be a significant speed bump or difference?

Short answer: yes. Mac Pro has server-grade processors, a boatload of RAM if you so choose, and tons of hard drive space allowing you to easily configure RAID 0 arrays for speed gains.

We run Macs in our office -- Macbooks, iMacs, and Mac Pros (with 16 gigs RAM and the 10,000 rpm Velociraptor drives in Raid array). The Mac Pros absolutely smoke the rest of the Mac line, and nearly all PCs too, especially in processor-intensive apps. iMac is not even close to the Mac Pro. Sure it costs a little more, but time and meeting deadlines is infinitely more valuable than the small outlay for a fast computer and good monitors.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
If you can afford it, i say go for it.

I've owned iMacs, macbooks, macbook pros, and I'll say the mac pro is the best mac i've ever owned hands down.

From the design to the power, to the unlimited possibilities for expansion and what you can do with it, i think its perfect.

As for waiting, this advice is time tested. If you need it, buy it. If you can wait, then wait. But keep in mind that if you wait 3-5 months for the next one. You get it and are happy. But then new tech appears another nine months down the road.

It's like chasing shadows. You buy a mac you like and can afford, and then just enjoy it. With the mac pro, the enjoyment is continuous because you can have fun maxing it out and customizing it long after you bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.