MacPro internal hard drive installation, what next?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Trivial rock, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Hey guys, sorry this may seem like a basic question but here goes. There are many, many pages, websites and videos on how to install a hard drive into the MP, no problems there what my question is, is what's next?

The HDD is arriving Tuesday, once I have installed what will I have to do to it to make it a part of my current HDD. I assume Im looking at a RAID 0 using disk utility?

Before I do that will I have to install 10.5 on the HDD or just use disk utility to format it?

Help will be much appreciated.

2. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

Well you'll have to back up your entire hard drive because the original will have to be erased. Is your drive you ordered the same size and speed of the original?

Then you use Disk Utility to make a RAID set. Select your original drive, click the RAID tab, select a striped RAID set, and drag the other drive that shows up in the list into the window. Click create. That will erase both drives and create the RAID 0 set. Then install OS X, all your data, and all you apps back onto the drive. I would personally create an image backup of the entire drive with Drive Utility or Carbon copy cloner on to an external drive.

3. rylin macrumors 6502

GAH!
    RAID-0 IS WORTHLESS.

I hope the next person to use a RAID-0 loses at least five years worth of data.

@Trivial rock: you'll be much better off simply formating the new disk and mounting it elsewhere.
    There's no need for you to make it part of the traditional filesystem layout.

In a RAID-0, you'll lose all the data on BOTH disks if ONE disk dies.

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Where's your sense of adventure?
    Besides, if you have a singe boot drive and it dies, you lose everything.
    Nothing is foolproof.
    I have three things to say: Backup, backup, backup.

I've been running a dual Velociraptor RAID 0 OS X boot volume for several months. Love the speed. No hiccups. But I do backup my key files once a week just to be safe.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I've been considering the same. Do you keep your User directory on the same drive. If not, what resides where on the other internal drives?

To the OP -- Read up on RAID. I doubt you want RAID0. Just plug the drive in. Format it for HFS+ and use it as a separate partition. Consider using it for a Time Machine volume if you currently have no back-up plan.

6. Trivial rock thread starter macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Yup I realise the drawback of RAID 0 loosing all the data if 1 drive fails, but I will be using an external HDD with time machine to back it ALL up ;)

The new drive is 640GB and the old is a 320, both 7200 RPM SATA II.

I am actually thinking of using the 640 as my OSX Disk and the 320 for Bootcamp. If i do this how do I install OS X on the new disk after I install it into my MacPro?

Im sure this is a basic question but I have not had to do this before so any help is gladly received.

7. Horst Guest

Rush Limbaugh fan there ? ;)

In a single drive setup, you use all the data on ONE disk if ONE disk dies.

What's your point again ? One drive dies, data lost, same in both cases. :rolleyes: