MacPro Jan/08 Airport Card Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by offshoresa65s, Apr 26, 2008.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

Not sure if this the right forum so apologies in advance.

I had an Airport wireless card installed in my new MacPro 2.8GHZ about six weeks after buying. I had notions of of having a clean machine that wasn't exposed to the internet, but updating software was becoming a pain.

Anyway, since installation, using Firefox v 2.0.0.13 or Safari v 3.1.1 somtimes, like every other day, downloading slows right down, little fan shape signal strength indicator dercreases down to a dot and one bar / arc and just grinds to a holt.

In response I open from the Task Bar (fan shaped arc / bar meter) ->Open Network Preferences -> Assist Me -> Network Diagnostics and then go through the check of how everything is running.

Whats strange is that during the process of getting to the check network process, the signal strength increases and the page loads immediately before the Mac can check the network preferences, which always says everything is OK.

However, if I don't go through this process the page I'm loading will cease until I do the check Network Preferences or I get a Safari timed out page stating it can't locate the server.

My old G4 wireless internet connection is working fine and that's next to the new Mac and my wifes MBP works fine sitting next to it as well.

Is there something I can tweek?

Our Airport base station hasn't changed, firmware updated recently (Nov '07) when my wife bought her MBP it's the the flying saucer shape with the silver Apple logo.

Anyway, sorry for going on so long, any ideas would be welcome

Chers

O

2. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

What hardware is connected to the Router? b/g/n devices?

I would try the obvious methods, resetting the router, and not connected any devices except the MP and see how it runs. I would initially think its the new card in the Mac Pro, but this is of course a possibility.

Hope you get this sorted.

3. offshoresa65s thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Yes, the HP c1680 All In One printer seems to make a difference.

With all other wireless devices off there is some consistency, but still very tempremental.

Chers

O

4. macdot macrumors 6502