Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I have a 3GHz 8-core MacPro and the "option + eject" keystroke will not open the lower drive...nothing as of yet will. I have never had it open (only had the machine 1-2 weeks). My main question is has Apple changed the way one opens the lower drive and I have just missed it? Any one else with this problem?

As I type, I consider maybe I should just check the connection to the drive...

Thanks

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
You have to press apple and eject at same time, or command and eject. I can't remember but you have to press eject and another key. Hold them down and it will open.

EDIT: Didn't read all your post. Assumed you didn't try the combo keys. Might want to check connections if all else fails or use a paper clip to press the eject button on the drive and see if it opens that way.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Did you buy the optional second SuperDrive?

The standard config is 1 drive, top tray.

Raymen

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Truro, Cornwall, UK
There should be an eject like icon on the toolbar (near the wireless and time ect) that will let you open the drive, and eject any disc images or usb keys.

If your thinking of the option key being the one that kinda looks like a hash, with circles added (the old 'apple' key as I know it)- then no its not that key.
Its the one that looks a bit like a U lying on it's side. You have to hold that and the eject for a while to eject the tray. Then remember to redo toe action to put the tray in in (inject ?right terminology :confused:) rather than just pushing it shut (which will ruin the drive eject mechinism and motors)

I had this issue when I got my pro, there is a help file if you search for eject in the spotlight searchbar.

cheers
r

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Assuming there really is a drive in the bottom bay, and that it's correctly set up and connected, another possible problem is that the door might be stuck. My upper bay door sticks like that on occasion.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
There should be an eject like icon on the toolbar
Yup, I would try this to see that it will eject at all.

Assuming there really is a drive in the bottom bay, and that it's correctly set up and connected, another possible problem is that the door might be stuck. My upper bay door sticks like that on occasion.
If the drive was bought and installed separately from the Mac—if you installed it yourself—you also have to remember to take the chunk of plastic off that's normally attached to the front of the tray as it won't fit through the opening in the Mac Pro's case. :eek:

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
If the drive was bought and installed separately from the Mac—if you installed it yourself—you also have to remember to take the chunk of plastic off that's normally attached to the front of the tray as it won't fit through the opening in the Mac Pro's case. :eek:

That part has bothered me on the G5s and Mac Pros, because that cover usually has a dust gasket.

boshunter

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
ok, I have the same problem when I added my second drive
It works fine when i use the icon on the top to eject the bottom tray
but opt+eject don't do anything
However, I've also figure out the reason why mine didn't work
I am currently using the logitech Wave keyboard and it works fine for ejecting tray 1 on osx and works fine with both drive in xp...

so I grab my original mac keyboard and test out the opt+eject and it works...

I am not sure sure why... maybe he is having the same problem

rgeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Did you buy the optional second SuperDrive?

The standard config is 1 drive, top tray.

:D at least my invoice says 2 drives :D:D it was installed by Apple

Like I said, it's never been opened, so in fact, there is not an eject icon in the toolbar.

i am using my mac keyboard, so ...

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
:D at least my invoice says 2 drives :D:D it was installed by Apple

Like I said, it's never been opened, so in fact, there is not an eject icon in the toolbar.

i am using my mac keyboard, so ...

Right then.. with the Mac off place a finger in the center - top of the drive & slide it down & poke another finger in..

If you find a drive then you have on.. if not...

BTW Do you have to Hard Drives? Could this be what the invoice is saying?

mcc

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I "inherited" a Mac Pro at work a couple of weeks ago that had two optical drives. I couldn't open the second optical drive bay with Option+Eject.

The problem turned out to be that I had installed VMWare Fusion and it had allocated the second optical drive. Deselecting the optical drive in the VMWare Fusion settings released the optical drive allowing the Option+Eject to work.

rgeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2008
as it turns out, my ORDER said 2 SuperDrives not my invoice. they didn't send my MAC with the second drive.

thanks to those who questioned this, because obviously I trusted that what i ordered was what I got.

the joke is on me :eek:

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
as it turns out, my ORDER said 2 SuperDrives not my invoice. they didn't send my MAC with the second drive.

thanks to those who questioned this, because obviously I trusted that what i ordered was what I got.

the joke is on me :eek:

Bummer. But hey, no one can fault you for that! It's not your fault. So did you actually pay for it? If so, you need to get on the horn to Apple and request that they send one out. Or a refund of the difference if anything. OWC (macsales.com) has 20X burners for the Mac Pro for $32. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/DVR115DBK/ What did Apple charge you? $100 right?

outlawx9

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
i added a second superdrive and my mac will not read it.

I just received a new super drive, a Pioneer superdrive, I installed it but my comp. we will not read it. Does any know why? I have mac pro 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.