Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Since last week I have had the fallowing problems with my 2008 8-core mac pro:

1) Apple Super Drive Sometimes tells me that this drive does not work with my computer -reboot fixes it

2) iMovie 08 CRASHES EVER F**KING TIME I TRY AND USE IT!

3) One of my external USB hard drives descided that whenever iMovie 08 is open, it won't let me see ANY of my files, it tells me I have 0 in that drive - unplugging it and plugging it in helps for 1 hour intervuals

4) Random Blue Screens while using mac pro

WTF is going on with my computer?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Definitely something flaky going on here. If these are problems that are easily reproducible then you'll probably want to lug it to your nearest Apple store and have them look at it.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Definitely something flaky going on here. If these are problems that are easily reproducible then you'll probably want to lug it to your nearest Apple store and have them look at it.

I was afraid of that. I really dont want to have to lug my 50 pound computer through the mall to have it fixed.

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
sounds like memory problems. Did you run the hardware test? Not knowing your setup you might try removing some memory or making sure it is all seated well etc. Can try starting up in safe mode or creating a new account to run in also.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Make appointment online for genius bar.

You don't have to lug it.

Call the local apple store and tell them you have a Mac Pro. They'll tell you the loading dock or where they can have someone pick it up.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Make appointment online for genius bar.

You don't have to lug it.

Call the local apple store and tell them you have a Mac Pro. They'll tell you the loading dock or where they can have someone pick it up.

when i was sold applecare with my MacPro I was told that they'll come to my house if i'm within a certain mileage of an apple store

they said this is specific to applecare on MacPros only

anyone hear of this?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
2) iMovie 08 CRASHES EVER F**KING TIME I TRY AND USE IT!

I dunno bout the others but iMovie is very flakey. '09 is much worse. Crash, crash, crash...

I guess it crashes once or twice with every reasonably complex session. For just mindless casual use I guess it's OK tho.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Update:

USB hard drive said I had 0 files in it, I reset the PRAM and it stopped showing up. Wierd thing is it was just the cable.

Hard Drive Problem: Fixed

For iMovie, I did a repair disk permissions, deleted the plist. Still the thing crashed worse then windows vista's launch! So I borrowed the CPU drop in DVD of ilife 09 that came with my brothers mac book and updated my ilife to 09. iMovie is now WAY more stable and extremely nice.

iMovie Problem: Fixed

Blue Screen Problem: Applecare person said: I don't Know, If you want bring it to the store and they will do an in depth scan of every part and determine if its hardware.

Blue Screen Problem: Annoying but not worth bringing my mac pro to the store.

rikoshay

macrumors member
sounds like memory problems. Did you run the hardware test? Not knowing your setup you might try removing some memory or making sure it is all seated well etc. Can try starting up in safe mode or creating a new account to run in also.

I fully agree with djjclark on this. Did you check your memory? This is a very common cause for weird, of-the-wall, multi-bugs. Also, they can be easy to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.