MacPro Network Name Keeps Getting Renamed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

First My Home Network:

Airport Extreme N, current model, separate discrete g and n networks. G network is set up in WDS mode to extend Airport Express which is connected to a MP via Ethernet. My other Macs are 100% wireless.

The problem:

The network name of my MP is randomly changed. The original name was simply "MacPro." Then it started to change it's name to MacPro (1), MacPro (2), etc., thinking there was already a computer with the same name in use when it was the same computer all along.

The message I get looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I only have this problem on my MP, which again, is connected to an Airport Express via Ethernet. This problem doesn't exist on my machines that have an Airport card installed.

Anyone know what is causing this, and more importantly, how to stop it?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I get this at work and cant figure it out. I have a MacPro and a MacMini. The Mini is slowly cycling through numbers. It's now up to 4. :confused:

Theres nothing else on the network.

3. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

OK, well changing the name may work, may be voodoo. I'm certainly willing to give it a shot so I changed my "computer name" to "MacProOffice" and "local host name" to "MacProQuad" & then locked the panel. I was prompted to "deauthorize" the previous name which I did & then it locked.

Hopefully its as simple as that. I'll bookmark the thread and check back with any progress or setback.

May 1 Update: I was doing well for a few days but woke up my computer this A.M. with a message that "MacProOffice" is in use and my computer's name was changed to "MacProOffice (2)." So the name changing didn't work. Obviously its something deeper, maybe with WDS since the only computer with this issues is hooked up directly to a remote Airport Express? Any ideas?

4. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Bump -- see update comments in above message.