MacPro not seeing Main Video Card...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MrLatte23, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

I've added a second video card (NVIDIA 8800GT) to my Mac Pro 1.1 and it's still seeing the old card (NVIDIA 7300GT) in software such as Photoshop and After Effects. Final Cut doesn't like the second card as discussed on the Apple Forums, but I'd like the 8800GT to be "seen" as the main card with the 7300GT as secondary. I did swap the slots putting the 8800GT in Slot 1, running at maximum speed (X16) and the 7300 GT is in Slot 4, running below Maximum speed (X8). I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro in Slot 3, running at maximum speed (X1). All monitors work normally.

Is there any way I can have the better card be the one sensed in all software. I'm using the first Alternate PCI Express profile in Expansion Slot Utility.

OS X.5.7 - 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon - 9 GB RAM - 3 Samsung LCD & 1-37"LG HDTV

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Are you sure that you have the right card for the Mac Pro 1,1.

3. giffut macrumors 6502

This ...

... very likely is related to your Mac Pro not having a PCI-Express 2.0 compatible slots, which is required when you buy the NVIDIA 8800GT Upgrade directly from Apple.

Apparently, NVIDIA seperately offers an additional upgrade kit, which works with 1st generation Mac Pros only, though: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800gt_for_mac_us.html

This is the one you need, and regarding your description you got the wrong upgrade kit. And yes: Shame on Apple on this one - it´s hell of a stupid situation.

4. netkas macrumors 65816

if monitors on his 8800gt work then he got a right card.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

PCI 2.0 is backwards compatible. Problem lies in EFI 32 vs 64. Apple are liars.

Anyway, card is no longer manufactured.

6. MrLatte23 thread starter macrumors regular

Card is for Mac Pro 1.1

I bought the card directly from NVIDIA and their site was pretty precise about which card to buy for a pre2008 Mac Pro. Everything but Final Cut Pro seems to work fine, as there's a documented issue in that FCP (or Color) doesn't play well with dual video cards. It's just perplexing why the computer won't recognize the faster card in slot-1 at the main card.

7. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Two things...

Boot up with just the 8800 GT first, then after that works, shut down and put the 7300 back in also. Does the 8800 GT stay the primary then?

Also, maybe drag the menu bar (from system preferences->displays) from a monitor driven by your 7300GT to a monitor driven by your 8800 GT.