Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wahit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Portugal
Hi guys!

FInally my MacPro+Cinema Display arrived today, yet I have a small question regarding Windows.

What is the best Windows operating system to fully take advantage of the MacPro processing power? I really need to be using Windows at least until January/February. The only software I use there is Rhinoceros and Maxwell Render.

So I really need that the OS takes fully advantage of the 8 cores of the MacPro, to enhance my rendering speed!

Which do you think is best for me, only to use Maxwell Render and Rhinoceros: Windows Vista or Windows XP?! And what version should I search for?

Thank you very much for your help!

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
I use Vista Ultimate 64, it will let you use all 8 Cores and more RAM then 32 bit Windows.

32 bit Windows only lets you use up to 2GB of the Mac Pro's RAM and only one core for processing.

wahit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Portugal
I use Vista Ultimate 64, it will let you use all 8 Cores and more RAM then 32 bit Windows.

32 bit Windows only lets you use up to 2GB of the Mac Pro's RAM and only one core for processing.

What is the difference between Windows Ultimate, Windows Home Edition and Windows Business?!

I just need to user Rhino and Maxwell. Is Windows Home Edition (64 bit) enough to take full advantage of my 8 cores?

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Hi guys!

FInally my MacPro+Cinema Display arrived today, yet I have a small question regarding Windows.

What is the best Windows operating system to fully take advantage of the MacPro processing power? I really need to be using Windows at least until January/February. The only software I use there is Rhinoceros and Maxwell Render.

So I really need that the OS takes fully advantage of the 8 cores of the MacPro, to enhance my rendering speed!

Which do you think is best for me, only to use Maxwell Render and Rhinoceros: Windows Vista or Windows XP?! And what version should I search for?

http://blogs.technet.com/mkleef/archive/2008/05/23/8-core-apple-mac-runs-hyper-v.aspx

I'm not saying you should use that, but it's worth considering if
your programs will run on it.

Both Vista and Server 2k8 have a trial mode. 2k8 trial download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Perhaps useful if you are not sure which to buy.

wahit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Portugal
Windows Server 2008... gotta take a look at that. Maybe I'll buy it next January. Are you sure it will perfectly work with the software I need?

Right now I'm downloading WinXP 64. I don't want to buy Vista on a rush and later regret it. I really gotta try out Win Server 2008.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
What is the difference between Windows Ultimate, Windows Home Edition and Windows Business?!

I just need to user Rhino and Maxwell. Is Windows Home Edition (64 bit) enough to take full advantage of my 8 cores?

No. The essential differences:

Home Edition: 1 physical CPU (i.e. 4 Mac Pro cores).
Home Premium: 1 physical CPU/Window Media Center
Business: 2 physical CPUs (i.e., 8 Mac Pro cores)
Ultimate: 2 physical CPUs/Windows Media Center

It's a bit more complicated than that, and there are other
differences, but those to my mind are the essential ones.

Further reading:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Windows Server 2008... gotta take a look at that. Maybe I'll buy it next January. Are you sure it will perfectly work with the software I need?

Hard to say. The guys here may know:

http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/

The best way to be sure is to try it and see.
I've been able to run everything I wanted to,
but then I'm not familiar with the two programs
you mentioned.

Right now I'm downloading WinXP 64. I don't want to buy Vista on a rush and later regret it. I really gotta try out Win Server 2008.

Good luck!

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
For rendering, you want 64-bit anyway - and also, Rhino 5 will be 64-bit...might as well go 64-bit now.

Also, a question for the OP.
I use Rhino a lot in my studies. I'm just about to get an external renderer. Would you say Maxwell is better than V-Ray?
Also, any tips on how to make renders faster? (At least trial ones)

Thanks,
- Michael

wahit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Portugal
For rendering, you want 64-bit anyway - and also, Rhino 5 will be 64-bit...might as well go 64-bit now.

Also, a question for the OP.
I use Rhino a lot in my studies. I'm just about to get an external renderer. Would you say Maxwell is better than V-Ray?
Also, any tips on how to make renders faster? (At least trial ones)

Thanks,
- Michael

I can answer the question about the renderers...

Maxwell is a lot better comparing to V-Ray, the problem with Maxwell is that it takes much more time to render. That is the reason why a bought the MacPro, yet the results are way superior!

If you have time to render things, go for Maxwell. If not... go for V-Ray. One more thing, the Maxwell Render license works both on OSX and Windows; V-Ray only works on Windows.

If you are a student you should take the chance now and buy licences from Maxwell (or any other renderer you like) and Rhino. You will save a lot of money now.

I bought Rhino during college and the license I use now in my office is that one. It "transforms" directly to a Pro license. It's cool...

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
it is not worth trying. Once you enable all the workstation features to make it usable you have vista.

That is only partially true. For example, you don't have to enable
all the vista-like features to make it usable. I haven't enabled the
"Desktop Experience" and it is still very usable for me. A lack of
Aero never stopped me shooting anyone in Counter-Strike :)

But also, some benchmarks have shown that even with the
Vista features enabled, Server 2008 outperforms Vista.

The picture is not entirely clear:

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2008/03/windows-2008-vista-done-right.html

In any case, there is little harm in trying an OS. And I would be the
last to try and force anyone to use a particular OS. Each to his own.

wahit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Portugal
Now I'm pissed!

I've downloaded Windows XP 64Bit edition and... it doesn't work on Bootcamp! I mean, Apple only support Windows XP 32Bit and Windows Vista!

What the hell.... I have a Windows XP 32bit licence, but I don't really have Vista.

If I install Windows 32bit version on my MacPro (2x2.8Ghz QuadCore) will I benefit from the 8 cores, or do I really have to install Windows Vista Business?!

Thank you very much!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Now I'm pissed!

I've downloaded Windows XP 64Bit edition and... it doesn't work on Bootcamp! I mean, Apple only support Windows XP 32Bit and Windows Vista!

What the hell.... I have a Windows XP 32bit licence, but I don't really have Vista.

If I install Windows 32bit version on my MacPro (2x2.8Ghz QuadCore) will I benefit from the 8 cores, or do I really have to install Windows Vista Business?!

Thank you very much!
Boot Camp doesn't have the drivers needed to make XP 64 work, IIRC. :(

If you have the ability to install windows to a separate HDD, you don't even need Boot Camp at all. It just gets used to partition the OS X disk, and load the drivers needed for windows. I think XP could be installed this way, as other members have XP running.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Now I'm pissed!

Thank you very much!

XP Pro will support 8, XP Home Edition 4.

With a 32-bit edition, you can only use 2GB of RAM
due to Apple's CSM (see link below) implementation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

XP 64 on a Mac Pro:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/231901/

Note: that is the 2006 Mac Pro.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Hi guys!

Vista 64-bit is the best OS for the job now and for the near future, but the Pro is not a great choice for running 64-bit Vista - ideally it should have been a proper Windows workstation such as the Precision T7400 that I use for Rhino among others.

It will however work, if you don't mind the distinctly 'consumer' reliability of both the hardware and the function of Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.