Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lou Cipher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in recording music on a Mac and doing HD video editing...and DJing perhaps on a computer rather than CDs so wondering if a MacBook Pro is the way to go...? Can it do all this stuff..?

For music, I would probably have 30 or more tracks being recorded and perhaps would like to use a signal processor like UAD-2 (it's a card and wonder if they have firewire devices).

For video, I just want some power to do HD.

For DJing, I'd like to move to the 21st century and mix via software as long as the sound that comes out of the machine is just as good as RCA cables...?

I was wondering if an iMac (3.06GHZ with 2GB RAM) is more than enough to do what I want and will last me at least 5 years...?

Or, should I get the low end version of the MacPro with just the one 2.8Ghz quad core (rather than the two) to save some money and have way more power long term than an iMac for almost the same price...?

All I would need is good advice on a 24" 1080p monitor out there that is a better value than the expensive Mac Cinema displays. Anyone know of any monitors that are good quality but a much better price...?

Or, should I get an older and used G5 to save more money and will it be powerful enough to do what I want...?

Also, is a 340GB drive good enough and simply buy external drives for extra storage...?

Bottom line is I am trying to get as much value for my dollar especially in these economic times and I am trying to be logically creative. That's why I thought getting the low end Mac Pro would be smart.

Thoughts...? I really appreciate any advice and experience you can offer.

Thank You

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Best option: Get a Mac Pro after the update next spring.

Second best option: Get an iMac after the update at MacWorld.

Third: Don't get a G5. They'll be permanently outdated in six months and the MacBook Air performs better than they do.

Lou Cipher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Best option: Get a Mac Pro after the update next spring.

Second best option: Get an iMac after the update at MacWorld.

Third: Don't get a G5. They'll be permanently outdated in six months and the MacBook Air performs better than they do.

Thanks so much Tallest! Well, I am eager to buy right now so would you say the iMac over the low end MacPro right now...? ALso, would a MacBook Pro do all this stuff as well...? I'm considering that as I would like to DJ. I could turn my current Windows Toshiba laptop (the M200 - 4 years old) perhaps in to a DJ unit although unsure if Windows XP is crap along with the software out there to DJ with...if I'm doing a bar or a wedding or a party I'd like to know it's going to work flawlessly and not slowdown causing empty spots of sound...that would be bad :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.