MacPro or iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ludykriz, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ludykriz macrumors newbie

ok.. its time for me to update my 3.1 Mac Pro.. I been happy but at the end of the line when it comes to updating.. I am AE and sometimes and editor and i need a machine that can transcode and work smoothly with Premiere, Avid and DaVinci.

Do I get a 12 core 2012 MacPro 5.1 with solid state and lots of Ram or should i get a 2015 iMac 27" 5K system with a flash drive 40GB Ram and a nice video card.. I love the idea to have thunderbolt and 5k display.. with the MacPro i cannot jump to Mojave and anything newer but with the iMac I can..

what would you do?

2. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

3. ludykriz, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

ludykriz thread starter macrumors newbie

its overkill.. i have worked on 2012 iMac on premiere it worked fine..we work with proxy files in all cases.. the reconnect and color in davinci.. i see iMac Pro for VR

who edits with internal 2k or 4k raw files... nooobody...

4. th0masp macrumors regular

Yeah - I'm no video guy but I've always been puzzled about that one - using proxies would seem like the obvious thing to do. Instead if you are looking through reviews for NLE's and hardware, apparently it's the most important criteria to be able to scrub through a 4k clip with effects applied - all viewed in the small preview monitor window within the NLE.

As for the original question I think it depends if rendering or overall interactivity is more important. iMac should win by quite the margin in the latter category. If I had to make that choice I'd always put interactivity first and look into if/how well an eGPU can be utilized to speed up rendering should it become necessary.

5. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

Full screen on a second 4k monitor.

6. th0masp macrumors regular

Yes but do you really need full resolution all the time to judge the edit while you are tweaking it?

7. ludykriz thread starter macrumors newbie

2 screens minimum.. 3rd screen a 40"+ TV would be ideal if editing and showing to producers..

and yes i have yet to be on a production that edits RAW 4k.. usually everything is converted to ProRes LT or DNX36 for Avid.. so you dont need a super machine to edit.. but my 2008 MacPro can no longer support the latest version of adobe so i need to update.. spending mad cash is not in my budget but i would 2015 iMac be better than 2012 Mac Pro 12 core..

8. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

I like to preview effects in After Effects at full resolution sometimes - especially if I'm working with textures in Element.

9. JazzyGB1 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but I can tell you that provided you have a Metal compatible graphics card Mojave runs on a Mac Pro absolutely fine - the only caveat being that it doesn't support the old airport card, so you lose wifi functionality unless you upgrade the airport card in the Mac Pro.
    Mojave compatible airport cards can be found online for around £30.00.
    I've recently upgraded my 12 core Mac Pro 5.1 with a 2TB SSD and updated to Mojave and use it for Logic and Pro Tools and it's been great! :)
    Not sure how it would stack up CPU wise against a current iMac, but it's never broken a sweat for my music needs so hopefully it'll be the same for video too! :)

10. mattferg macrumors 6502

The 2012 and 2010 both have WiFi support in Mojave, only the flashed 2009 does not.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    I edit with 4k raw files...

11. ludykriz thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.. thats a first.. unless you do music video clips or need fast turn arounds.. what system do you have?

I work on features and 90+ minute documentaries and we cant store all of our 4k raw files on a single drive.. on the current movie i work on all dailies are in ProRes Proxy and under 2TB.. we have 3 people working on it and 3 4TB drives are much cheaper than having everyone work with 4K Raw files on mirrored drives..