Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfolkers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Hey all, I'm currently a college student, and I do a lot of web Design/Development. CS4, etc. Tax return time, and ive talked my wifey into letting me snag a new computer, now that im working from home all day as well.

So I've perused cragislist, and found, lets say..

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/sys/1611351997.html

But Im also looking at an iMac 27 inch.

I have monitors at home, a 24 and a 21, that could be used with the MP, they are a few years old, and have fears they may die.

Any thoughts? pros? cons? I already own a 13" MBP as well, and a 21inch imac, that the wife has claimed for her own.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Well for your needs either machine is more than adequate. I would think the Mac Pro would be the best option as if gives you greater scope to upgrade in the future, but the iMac is an all in one, thus provides a very t'idy' set up.

Remember to treat listings on craigslist with trepidation.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would rather grab a refurb 2.66GHz current gen quad core Mac Pro for 2149$ (link) or wait till Mac Pro update and see what's coming. That's not very good price for 1st gen Mac Pro, especially low-end quad core

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
The single quad core MacPros are not worth the money you pay for them at all. They should be updated soon (long overdue), so who knows what that will bring. I hope Apple can creep below the $2000 mark for their tower.

Either find a hell of a deal on a tower, or get the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.