MacPro or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bfolkers, Feb 23, 2010.

1. bfolkers macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm currently a college student, and I do a lot of web Design/Development. CS4, etc. Tax return time, and ive talked my wifey into letting me snag a new computer, now that im working from home all day as well.

So I've perused cragislist, and found, lets say..

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/sys/1611351997.html

But Im also looking at an iMac 27 inch.

I have monitors at home, a 24 and a 21, that could be used with the MP, they are a few years old, and have fears they may die.

Any thoughts? pros? cons? I already own a 13" MBP as well, and a 21inch imac, that the wife has claimed for her own.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well for your needs either machine is more than adequate. I would think the Mac Pro would be the best option as if gives you greater scope to upgrade in the future, but the iMac is an all in one, thus provides a very t'idy' set up.

Remember to treat listings on craigslist with trepidation.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would rather grab a refurb 2.66GHz current gen quad core Mac Pro for 2149$ (link) or wait till Mac Pro update and see what's coming. That's not very good price for 1st gen Mac Pro, especially low-end quad core

4. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

The single quad core MacPros are not worth the money you pay for them at all. They should be updated soon (long overdue), so who knows what that will bring. I hope Apple can creep below the $2000 mark for their tower.

Either find a hell of a deal on a tower, or get the iMac.

5. bradenjobson macrumors newbie

I vote Macbook pro. But wait for the upgrade.