Macpro or powermac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eazzy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. eazzy macrumors newbie

Should i also go for a G5 or a the new Macpro.

I'm looking to run alot of programs at a time and processor means alot to me. I dont need alot of space but I do need minimum of 4gb of ram. I have a macbook pro 15" 2.4 core 2 duo processor and it reaches its limit with only a little of what i wanna run. Im choosing Mac OS X for the spaces and expose plus it being the best OS ever. I know both have dual core but im wondering if i should go pro or G5.

I run alot for personal use and occupation

My main question is, is the macpro worth it for the processors?

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Get the Mac Pro. PPC is getting less and less mainstream and the AppleCare on those machines will expire sometime in 2009.

3. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

If you're not on the tight budget, I'd recommend going for MP. It's more powerful, you're not limited to PPC soft and OS (intel starting from the next one), you can run windows if you need etc., -- it's way more future-proof.

sash

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Mac Pro is much faster and better. More expansion and very future proof.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah if you said you need power, get the Mac Pro. You need the Intel processor power and will definitely be more future proof. You can also run a ton of more memory on the MPs too as they can max out to what 32gb(currently?) while the G5's max out at 8gb. G5 supports 2 internal drives without aftermarket add-ins while the MP supports 4 internal drives if you need storage. Besides the fastest Dual core/processor G5's are also liquid-cooled and will potentially leak.

6. liquid stereo macrumors regular

MacPro

I'm upgrading to a MacPro (arrives on Tuesday) from a 2x2GHz G5. I'm doing it because I need the additional memory. The speed is just a huge plus :)

Cheers!

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

8. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

If you're Macbook Pro is maxing you out then the G5 won't cut it. Unless you went for a Quad G5 which are still very solid machines, but you will be limited to PPC in the future. Right now it's not that big of a deal, but I don't think it will be too far out before it is.

9. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

When Snow Leopard is released in 7 months, ALL powerpc machines will be obsolete. Just like when OS8.5 hit and everyone dropped making 68k software, PPC is going to be forgotten to everyone but fanatics.

Its already happening since most new software and games are Intel only.