MacPro over PowerMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by warburg, Aug 6, 2008.

1. warburg macrumors 6502

I've had a PowerMac G5 for almost three years. I use it primarily for word processing, E-mail and internet. Would there be any advantage for me in buying a MacPro at this time?:confused:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Not for what you do, cause I bet it is still does those things really well. :D

3. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Absolutely no reason at all, from any standpoint (even an aesthetic one!)

You've got a perfectly capable machine there for all you do and a lot more.

4. kabunaru Guest

Well, if you start to play new games, then the Mac Pro might be justifiable.

Otherwise, keep your PowerMac G5.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to my a PS3 or an XBOX! :eek:

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would just keep your G5 for a little while longer and maybe Nehalem or the revision after Nehalem I would buy!

7. Roy macrumors 6502

The new Mac Pro would help you with bragging rights in having the "latest". Also, I hear that Safari is much "snappier" on the Mac Pros; according to Steve Jobs.:)

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

The G5 is way more computer than you need to run the kind of apps you mentioned. Not only should you not upgrade, but I can't imagine why you'd be considering a MacPro at all. An iMac or Mac Mini would be more computer than you need; a MacPro would be complete overkill. (Unless there's something you use your computer for that you're not telling us about.)

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Absolutely not, that machine is perfectly fine, and for your needs you would not need a PowerMac or MacPro. A Mac mini, iMac, or a MacBook would suit your needs more than perfectly if you really were considering a second computer.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Stick with what you have. :)
    From the uses you indicated, the Mac Pro is far more machine than you'll ever need. ;)

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Send me your G5, and I'll send you a 733 MHz QuickSilver with 512 MB of RAM... that's about the fastest you'll need for what you're doing... :D

12. G5power macrumors 6502

As the others have said the G5 should be fine for your usage.

I would add the suggestion that you might want to upgrade the RAM. If you are still running the original factory memory then for a very low amount you could bump the memory and really help the performance. The G5 with a say 2GB would be a very nice performing system and would let you continue to run that system for several more years.

I briefly owned a Powermac 1.6 G5 and noticed a nice performance bump when I upgraded from 512MB to 2GB.

13. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

He is just jokin, this cant be a seriuos post...

14. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

Why not? We're not all geeks on this site, you know!:D I really appreciate the advice I've been given on this thread. I've usually bought a new desktop Mac every three years or so, whether I've needed it or not.

15. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Yeah, go spend $2800 for a word processor and e-mail machine. :rolleyes:
    A Centris 610 would probably be plenty for that little work.

16. Roy macrumors 6502

Well now the Centris 610 was costly for its time. I paid $2520 for one in 1993 money. A Mac Pro looks very inexpensive compared to the Centris 610.

17. kabunaru Guest

Well, if you want it, get it. Nobody is going to stop you. It's your own choice.
    Have you thought about an iMac at least?

18. almostinsane macrumors regular

Are companies still making software for PPC's? That right there might be enough reason to switch.

You also get the ability to run Windows if you need to. And the Mac Pro is a lot quieter and runs less hot that the G5's do.

19. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

In your shoes, the only reason I'd want to shift to Mac Pro would be....... Mac OS X 10.6 which is still a long time!

20. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It sounds like he has all the software he needs. And yes, most current applications are Universal, since there are still a VERY large number of G3, G4 and G5 systems out there. Most apps probably won't be Intel only until Snow Leopard, and even then it will be at least 2-3 years before the last Universal versions are too far out of date for professional use, much less personal use...

21. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

If you what to upgrade to Snow Leopard then you will need a intel Mac Pro because Snow Leopard will not be supported with PowerPc Chips something to think about if you decide to upgrade OS later, So my advice get one if you can.

22. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Snow Leopard isn't for almost a year, so that wouldn't be an advantage at this time even if upgrading to SL was a priority.

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Hold on, there was no complete proof of that, although it will most likely be the case, this was never 100% confirmed.

24. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

That's pretty much an exaggeration. I use the PowerMac G5 PRIMARILY for internet, e-mail and word processing, but I do have about 50 photographs, 20 songs, and a few games. However, I get the point! I don't really need a MacPro for what I do, and I thank everyone for the advice.

It's very much like what I did with the iphone. I bought the 16gb model because it was supposedly "the best," but I now see that 8gb would have been more than enough for my needs.

25. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Again I'll just point out that I use a first gen dual 2.0gHz G5 for everything I do (which includes intensive CS2 usage [I'm a graphic designer], audio engineering, and some light film work). It's still incredibly fast (though granted I run Tiger, not Leopard, so I can't speak to that). People put way too much stock in being "current", as current is generally overkill in the Mac world (though obviously smart if you're planning for the next 3-5 years)...

So yeah, when you're ready to buy your next long-term machine (assuming that is your goal), then the Mac Pro is an excellent choice. If I had to buy a new machine now, I'd certainly take one over a G5; however, since I have a G5 that will work for how I make my living (and everything else I do) for at least a couple more years, upgrading now seems silly if I can spend roughly the same in 2-3 years and get a much newer machine that will last an extra 2-3 years. ;)

As for the Snow Leopard post, it hasn't been officially confirmed AFAIK, but from what I've read it's basically Leopard optimized for the Intel chipset, so I think it's safe to assume that PPCs won't be supported. I think it's also safe to assume that PPCs won't need it, Leopard is already pretty well optimized for the PPCs it supports from what people have told me.