MacPro Quad 2.8 single CPU for light-mid level editing and license tranfer question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chrispy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I am currently using a Core 2 Duo quad-core PC running Vista Ultimate 32 bit and using Adobe Premiere CS3 for some light to mid level video editing. The machine frequently restarts in the middle of encoding and other tasks so I am thinking about making the switch back to Mac. You can get a MacPro single quad-core 2.8 on macconnection.com for $2149 shipped for free.

I'm guessing I will be fine without having the second CPU given my needs, however, are these machines user upgradable for a second Xeon chip should the need arise?

Also, I have an educational license of Adobe Production Suite CS3. Is that a cross-platform license that would be transferable from PC to Mac? Or I guess I should ask, has anyone successfully transferred their PC edu license to a Mac license? Thanks everyone! I have been MIA from this site for a good nine months and it is nice to be back. :)

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I'm not a MacPro expert, but you should be fine with the one on macconnection.com. As far as the licesnce, I'm pretty sure that they are not transferablle from one platform to another. However, you could probably sell your liscense for Windows and buy one for Mac.

3. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Thanks tsice19. Yeah, I thought about it and realized the single 2.8 quad would be more than enough. I'm using a 2.4 Core 2 Quad with only 2GB ram right now and it is, for the most part, plenty fast. Now the random restarts... that is a problem haha.

Darn Adobe and their difficult license rules :cool:

4. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Finally got a solid answer out of Adobe for anyone who is wondering. For EDU license copies of Production Suite Premium CS3, you can change over the license for $159 for up to five pieces of software. It takes about 14 days to process the paperwork and you destroy the Windows license discs. That answers that thankfully! :)

5. HooHar macrumors member

Photoshop CS3 licenses are transferable.
    I phoned Adobe and they confirmed this.
    Worth contacting them to ask.
    :)