MacPro questions - pls help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rethymno1980, Jan 17, 2011.

1. rethymno1980 macrumors newbie

directly to the questions...

1) Should i prefer the westmere 6core 3.33 for 3d renderings in a 32bit renderer (kerkythea renderer) ?

2) Should i prefer the 3x1Gb memory only for upgrading to 4x8Gb or is it more sane to order directly the 3x4Gb pack? ..i meen, can i trust the memory packs ( 4x8) from '' non apple stores ''? ..if everything its ok why those huge price diffs?
    (the same question also for the ssd's)

3)whats the more efficient way to bootcamp in win? Can i have one ssd drive only for win7, another for snow leopard and a third for the stuff?

4)GPU. For sketchup pro (uses opengl) is the 5870 enough? Should i go for a quadro fx?

thanx a lot for the informations

2. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

You can get a much better deal from OWC for the memory. I would get the default amount from Apple and replace it from OWC.

3. cjoy macrumors member

depends on how that renderer handles multiple cores. that has little to do with 32/64-bit architecture. c4d for example uses all cores ... in that case it's core-number > ghz. if it doesnt (and wont in the forseeable future), a speedy 6-core seems the right thing to buy.

unless you have money to burn for no reason, dont buy RAM/HDD/SSD upgrades from apple.. buy the basic config and replace those parts yourself.
    you'll save a ton of money.

You could do that... but using an SSD for data storage is a bit over the top imo. I'd use an individual SSD for each OS, 2 large HDDs (2TB) for data and a seperate HDD or SSD as scratchdisk.

If you only use Win7 every once in a while, I'd just set aside some space on the data drive for a windows partition.

4. Garamond macrumors regular

This.