MacPro Raid Card Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macpro8, Aug 19, 2007.

?

Is it worth getting

Poll closed Nov 17, 2007.
  1. YES

12.5%
  2. NO

87.5%
  1. macpro8 macrumors newbie

in october i'm going to be ordering a new MacPro, today i customize the way i want it and there was a new MacPro Raid Card, does anyone knows what this card suppose to do? is it worth getting when ordering a MacPro.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If you don't know what a RAID card does chances are you will be fine keeping the $1K in your pocket.

3. macpro8 thread starter macrumors newbie

but does the MacPro comes with raid anyways?

4. qpid macrumors regular

The Mac Pro can do Raid 0, 1 or 0+1 with software only, unless you purchase the hardware card that you were mentioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sorry for the slow reply, (shhh, I'm suppose to be working;)) but what qpid said is correct. For about 98% all applications software RAID is all you need. Only in an application such as a movie house, or for scientific research, or other applications with high levels of data being stored does a hardware RAID become necessary.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If the OP needs external storage, then he can go the eSATA RAID route, which is MUCH cheaper than the Apple RAID route.

Remember, eSATA can do 3.0Gbps, which is about 375MB/sec....and if you have a 5 Drive setup at RAID0, you can easily achieve this.

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Indeed!

I believe we discussed this in an earlier thread, but for $1000 (the price of the CTO option from Apple), you can get serious server-class hardware RAID way better than Apple's option.

I bought an eSATA card that handles 20 hard drives for $190.