MacPro Raid Card Worth Getting?

Is it worth getting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macpro8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
in october i'm going to be ordering a new MacPro, today i customize the way i want it and there was a new MacPro Raid Card, does anyone knows what this card suppose to do? is it worth getting when ordering a MacPro.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
but does the MacPro comes with raid anyways?
Sorry for the slow reply, (shhh, I'm suppose to be working;)) but what qpid said is correct. For about 98% all applications software RAID is all you need. Only in an application such as a movie house, or for scientific research, or other applications with high levels of data being stored does a hardware RAID become necessary.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
If the OP needs external storage, then he can go the eSATA RAID route, which is MUCH cheaper than the Apple RAID route.

Remember, eSATA can do 3.0Gbps, which is about 375MB/sec....and if you have a 5 Drive setup at RAID0, you can easily achieve this.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
If the OP needs external storage, then he can go the eSATA RAID route, which is MUCH cheaper than the Apple RAID route.

Remember, eSATA can do 3.0Gbps, which is about 375MB/sec....and if you have a 5 Drive setup at RAID0, you can easily achieve this.
Indeed!

I believe we discussed this in an earlier thread, but for $1000 (the price of the CTO option from Apple), you can get serious server-class hardware RAID way better than Apple's option.

I bought an eSATA card that handles 20 hard drives for $190.