MacPro RAM and hard drive configs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by colinet, Oct 21, 2007.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

I'm expecting my 8 core Mac Pro tomorrow and I've got 12Gb ram ( 6 x 2Gb Kingston cards) coming to add to the 1Gb from Apple (2 x 512Mb cards)

I've read that if I put the 2Gb sticks in the first 2 slots where the Apple 512s are it will run faster - so logically I should put the 2 smaller cards in the 2 outer slots on the bottom memory carrier. Is this true or will it make no noticeable difference?

I'm working with massive Photoshop images - actual size 35 x 7 feet so I need all the performance boosts I can get!

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Chuffing eck, those are some serious sized images :eek:
    I find 8gb RAM enough for now, 8 x 1gb sticks.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As well as RAM, it might be worth investing in a fast drive. Either as a boot drive or scratch disk for Photoshop. The Western Digital Raptors are quite good for this, a bit spendy though.

But this is what we have at work; each PowerMac has a dedicated 74gb Raptor in them solely for Photoshop and Illustrator scratch files plus 4.5gbs of RAM and even though the Macs are almost 4 years old, they're still pretty fast when working within the Creative Suite.

4. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

They are bloody huge, though fortunately I only have to do them at 100dpi.

My poor Dual 2Ghz G5 with 5 gig ram was state of the art when I bought it, but it can take almost 5 minutes to load and save the images when I've got lot of layers in them.

Still, the money's good and I get an excuse to buy the fastest Mac. Just need to replace my aging 23" Cinema display with a nice new 30" - to sit next to my fantastic Wacom Cintiq which is actually cooler than my iPhone - which is working very nicely in Australia thank you. Think a new kitchen comes before a new monitor though.:rolleyes:

Yes, I've already bought a 150Gb Raptor which is sitting in its anti-static bag waiting for the Mac Pro - not sure whether to use it to load and save my Photoshop files from or as a scratch disc (will I need one with 13gig of ram) or both - what do you think>

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Given the capacity and the 16mb buffer, I'd use it as a boot and scratch disk provided you can keep a minimum of 20gb of it free for OSX's and Photoshop's scratch/VM files... archiving completed projects onto DVD as soon as they're done and freeing up space.

You could always use the stock drive that comes with the machine to either backup internally or store less frequently-used files.

Edit: I split this thread as hijacking another's thread for your own concerns isn't fair play. :)

6. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not so much bothered by fast booting up times, as fast load and save while I'm working in Photoshop, so I think i'll keep the original 500 gig drive as my system/boot drive and just use the Raptor for Photoshop.

Anyone know if Time Machine backs up ALL your internal drive, several drive of your choosing, or just your boot drive?

7. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

I apologise. I didn't realise I was 'hijacking' - I assumed as the OP was about amount of memory in a Mac Pro and my original posting was about amount of memory in a Mac Pro, they were kind of linked. . .

8. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Dont buy the apples 30" acd. Old tech and ****** quality when compared to its comptetitors now. It has gotten spanked by HPs 30" big time in reviews..
    For clarity,I have one 30" and I like it a lot,but nowadays you get better quality for less money.

AND EIZO has just come out with their 30". It promised full sRGB and almost full aRGB,2xdual dvi ports and supposedly it will be cheaper than apples 30" acd...

You might need the scratch anyway. PS CS3 can utilize only 3GB of memory directly to photoshop and 3 more for virtual scratch. So it is pratcically the same if you have 7GB or 13GB,unless you run lightroom/aperture at the same time.
    So scratching the raptor might be a good idea. Run the files from a different disk.

9. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I had an Eizo monitor years and years ago - green screen on a BBC micro and it was first class. Not sure about price and availability in Australia - need to check. After all the MacPro, ram, Raptor, raid 1 external drive for Time Machine, USB card etc., I think a 30" monitor will have to wait a little while!

Adobe have released a plugin - ForceVMBuffering.plugin - which I think will allow Photoshop to increase the virtual memory size depending on your ram. When I get my MacPro (today?) I'll do some timing tests and holding-my-ear-to-the-computer-for-sounds-of-drive-activity tests to see if it is still using the drive for scratch.