MacPro Rev1.1 no 10.8 no 10.9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Frong, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Frong macrumors member

Sorry to open a thread for that question but I'm quite lost in all the details in threads relative to 10.8 or 10.9 on older mac.

So I have a MacPro Rev1.1 with and Radon HD 5770. That 7 (or 8?) year config is still a monster running everything I install alas I feel more and more claustrophobic to be restricted to OSX 10.7.5 (and even XP).

I was expecting MLPostFactor succeed release a new version but it seems not and then saw there are other way but can't find if any offer a solution for my config.

So if someone could help. :)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sell it and buy the new Mac Pro; or there's also a good chance the current Mac Mini could fit your needs.

3. Frong thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, the new MacPro is on my radar but seeing the price I'll wait some time to be sure it's a good release or even hope some price reduction. It's an option but vague for me.

Mac Mini never look good to me. My old MacPro Rev1.1 is quad core at 3Ghz (through 2 dual core) and I doubt a Mac Mini could satisfy me at reverse it would be a total waste of money. And I doubt the graphic crap will compare to the Radeon HD 5770 I use.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The i7 Mac Mini is no slug, certainly more capable CPU wise, albeit less expandable than your ancient Mac Pro 1,1.
    What are you doing that needs the HD5770?

5. Frong thread starter macrumors member

Hahem games :) That's the point I can play ton of games and don't bother with windows. That year has been amazing between ton of wrappers working brilliantly for games all along the history, to many great release and a large amount of good big release. Anyway don't challenge me on that please. :)

Ha yeah always forget the i7 thing, but quote that my old proc is xeon ie the pro line, no surprise for me that the new mac pro come back to xeon line. Ok You could be right that I'm wrong about the CPU, but well I can run very well any game released and feel it's more the graphic card the limit.

In fact I'm using i7 but laptop and I'm not impressed at all, or it's windows 7 the culprit, well and it's lower ghz than the mini.