MacPro SATA 3 compatible yet ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CHSeifert, Apr 12, 2011.

1. CHSeifert, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Hey,

Need 2 new SSD for MacPro purchase.

Vertex 3 or intel 510 240 gb for OSx and programs and then maybe an intel 320 SSD 300 gb for most often used data (pics, docs, sheets and PDF files)

But is the MacPro even SATA 3 compatible ?

If not, I might go for intel 320 SATA 2 on both the SSD drives.

But if no sata 3 on macpro currently, I will upgrade next year to a new macpro for sure !!!

What kind of ram does MacPro use ?

Sorry - too lazy to search on my iPhone - hope you understand ;)

Thx :)

2. Transporteur, Apr 12, 2011
  3. CHSeifert, Apr 12, 2011

CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Sorry - I'm on my iPhone and just needed the answer now - sorry :)

Both machines I might buy have old tech in them - cr_ap :(

iMac & MacPro - old farts !!!

4. JollyJoeJoe, Apr 12, 2011

JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

Why do apple leave out important details like memory speed ie: 1066 or 1333Mhz, SATA2 or 3 etc. in the their specs. That spec sheet is nearly worthless.

My bad found em, site just didn't load fully in IE9 before I ctrl +F (1333) :)

5. JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

You can buy a more or less expensive RAID card that has internal SATA3 6G ports or just a plain (non-raid) SATA3 6G controller card with internal ports.

The 6G RAID cards are available everywhere, where as plain SATA3 controller cards with internal SATA3 ports so far I have not seen.

6. Vylen macrumors 65816

But.. memory speed is on the spec sheet...

7. CHSeifert, Apr 12, 2011

CHSeifert

You so obviously think like a well behaved brainwashed Mac guy going by the official spec sheet.

I on the other hand think like a PC selfbuilder. Always questioning the rules and stressing them above the ordinary.
    Maybe there was a bios flash for the chipset and CPU that supported faster ram speed - better ask instead of just reading spec sheets from the official vendor.

Typical Apple fanboy behaviour :(

8. JollyJoeJoe, Apr 12, 2011

JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

:confused::eek:

And you derived all that from the above statement on me "wrongly" complaining about Apple not publishing memory speeds and SATA versions ?

For your info I am primarily a PC user.

And in a typical PC "selfbuilder" style, which is nothing to be boast about as building a PC is a 40 minute exercise (not including cable management) where one would have to have an IQ of sub 80 to get anything wrong you assumed.

With apple all new EFI/SMC firmware would be available through the apple site too :( and all changes clearly listed. But of course you would question the rules and stress them above the ordinary.

9. derbothaus, Apr 12, 2011

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

What's bios?

10. JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

:D:D:D It's that Mac Bios you know.... The one with blue screen and white text. :D

11. CHSeifert, Apr 12, 2011

CHSeifert

Ok - look I'm sorry if I wrongly offended or misunderstood your irony. Please accept my apology !!!

To be honest it frustrates me that I love OSx but love the freedom to construct my own PC lian Li server Monster with SSD pci express boot card, SATA 3 SSD drives, newest intel CPU and a deluxe motherboard with a monster psu to boost the system and a top GPU card :)

Can't stand apple desktop replacement systems with their slow updates, poor quality control and inability to be upgraded. MBP are idiotically more upgradeable than an iMac desktop machine :(

I'll stick to be an Apple User on all my 3 portable devices - MBA 13, iPad 2 and iPhone 4 ;)

Again please accept my apology :)

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

From my testing, the only non-raid internal Sata 3 card that is "bootable" with snow lep is the ATTO one, and it sometimes has problems on a reboot and non of the cards have speeds anywhere near a native windows box sata 3 connection, but still noticeably faster than a sata 2 connection none the less. No great solution yet. I'm going to put the vertex 3 on sata 2 at first, and may try the atto card again later.

13. CHSeifert, Apr 13, 2011

CHSeifert

Sorry to hear this :(

FYI the OCZ Revodrive X2 PCI Express 100 GB card har true read times of 700-750 MB/Sec and true write times of 650-700 MB/Sec under Win 7 in my selfbuilder Lian Li PC!

It beats Vertex 3 240 gb SATA 3 easily and very very comfortable by almost double up in both write and read speed :)

I'll build myself a PC monster until MacPro with SATA 3 native is announced. My PC monster will beat even the highest max specced MacPro you can buy, for my needs.

MacPro without SATA 3 and no SSD pci express boot support is a big letdown - and not worthy of being called a true pro machine in my honest opinion !!!