MacPro second drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wflan, Sep 5, 2008.

1. wflan macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a MP with the standard dvd drive and a second LG Blu-Ray burner installed. I'm having two issues
    1) how do you get the second slot to open-as far as I can figure out with the eject key on the keyboard, I only get the top tray to opens
    2) Vista won't recognize the drive though Apple System Profiler correctly identifies it (GGW-H20L - i'm not positive about the first three or final letters but it's in that family, a 6x burner). I installed the software LG supplies and have installed the drivers from bootcamp to no avail. Any suggestions for sorting out the mac/pc discrepancy?

P.S. I do need to run it in windows if I'm going to watch blu-ray movies so the classic don't use vista isn't really applicable.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

as per opening the second DVD drive place an eject icon in your Menu bar by going to System>Library>CoreServices>Menu Extras and then double clicking on Eject.menu.

im not sure about Vista not seeing your Blu Ray drive sorry.

3. wflan thread starter macrumors newbie

i did a little troubleshooting by disconnecting the stock drive and the Blu-Ray drive reads discs and acts as a legit primary drive in OS X but still isn't recognized in vista :/

thanks about the menubar icon–I'll do that directly Edit: done, works nicely!

4. rtrt, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. Catch Them macrumors regular

is the Blu-ray IDE?

hm, are there jumpers for that drive? if so put it on cable select and that might make it noticeable....

hope that might help

6. wflan thread starter macrumors newbie

it's sata, attached to the 'secret' ports on the Mmotherboard that are very hard to get to. I'll look into the jumpers but I don't remember seeing any