MacPro Sleep Issue - Solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SilverL, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SilverL macrumors member

I have resolved my MacPro sleep issue by removing the Seagate 320GB stock drive.
    For whatever reason, if that drive is plugged in, it reboots my MacPro when waking from sleep.

I had setup 2 WD 500GB drives in RAID 0 as my boot volume and this was configured with Windows XP Pro for other uses.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Cheers!

2. hairnesto macrumors newbie

did the same with my 320g WD with the osx installed on it
    when i received it .had time machine on it and shut that down after this no problems for about 48 hours.

3. phjo macrumors regular

Nope...

I did read at xlr8mac that this had seemingly solved the reboot at wake issue for some...

But I can attest that I removed the stock seagate 320Gb very soon, and use two samsung spinpoint 500Gb instead, and I have experienced the reboot twice since... (and never did when the seagate was still there !)

So, don't expect too much from that <<solution>>...

phjo

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Did you see a good improvement in performance?
    My Mac pro came the other day and its quicker at processing tasks like video coding etc, but when it comes to plain old loading up large apps from the drives it seems the same speed (sometimes slower) than my imac 2.8 with 4gb ram.
    My pro has only 2gb and am upgrading to 6 but I was tempted at the raid 0 on the boot drive.
    Was it easy to setup?

5. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

Mine has stopped doing this for 9 days straight now. I think I did it by resetting the PRAM.

6. SilverL thread starter macrumors member

I saw a large difference in performance with RAID 0 - but note it doubles the chances of failure as many others have said.
    I am however, not worried about that because I have an external bootable volume that has my time machine archive that is of equal size to my internal drives on FW800.

By the way, bad news - the reboot on wake is back, even with the drive out. :(

7. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

The reboot issue is what's currently keeping me from purchasing a Mac Pro. I went to the local Apple store today and tried sleeping the Mac Pro they had there. The machine did not exhibit the problem. How often would you say that the machine reboots when waking from sleep? Is it, e.g., 1 out of 10?

8. SilverL thread starter macrumors member

As of today, I am averaging one reboot in every 3 sleeps.

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Since Ive had my Pro its been to sleep about 8 times up to now and no issues.
    I don't use time machine at all (you never know it might be that?).

Now ive opened my mouth I guess it will start playing up :eek: ........

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Mine does it every single day.Think I'll give the PRAM a try.

11. ceres macrumors regular

12. rtrt, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

rtrt macrumors 6502a

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even with the 10.5.2 update my 2.8ghz Mac Pro 8 core with 16gb RAM (2x8gb) Transintl that has no problems or errors (tested) gave me a reboot on a wake yesterday (about 2 hours of sleep). But I resetted the smc and zapped pram and I've rebooted 2 times so far and once overnight and it has not given me a reboot on wake so far...

14. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

out of about 23 sleeps I have had a kernel panic on 1 now :(

15. phjo macrumors regular

Just a thing, for those plagued with the reboot at wake issue : do you have any external usb or firewire powered device plugged to the mac pro ?

I realize that disconnecting my m-audio fasttrack pro (usb powered) might have solved the reboot issue... (not a very satisfying fix though... I had no such problem with the imac I owned previously...)

phjo

16. mogrefy macrumors member

Are any of you guys who are reporting this issue running the 8800GT?

17. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

mines still doing it after 5.2 and resetting pram...

ill try resetting the smc, whatever that is. i assume there are instructions on the apple site somewhere....

18. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

OK,
    after running the update, reboot, do graphics/ilife update, reboot, restart, reset pram.

1st sleep, wakes fine.

reboot, sleep again, kernel panic.

what's more, after hard restart and shut down, after a second the fans rev up to full speed!

let them run for a minute or two (could have been part of the update or something, i didn't know) have to do another hard shutdown to get them to stop, reboot, shut down, same thing again!

reboot, shut down works fine this time.

reset smc (fancy way of saying "unplugged everything", right?)

now, things seem ok.

did two sleep/wakes and it was fine, though i'll have to do more checking later.

19. stonebits macrumors newbie

Yes with an 880GT card

I'm having the reboot problem with the 8800 GT card -- will try resetting the PRAM

20. sturob macrumors regular

Don't forget to do the SMC reset as well; I did that before I reset the PRAM.

You unplug everything (EVERYTHING) from the Mac for at least 15 seconds, then plug it all back in and reboot. It resets the system which tells the Mac what is connected.

I've seen that (SMC reset) recommended on several threads, and now people are reporting various rates of success with disconnecting various things (like hard drives, external USB things, etc.). Maybe something screwy with the SMC? Or, it gets confused, and sends some signal on wakeup which makes the Mac go nuts and reboot or panic?

I also find it interesting that people have reported no problems with reboot-after-sleep in Vista. REALLY makes it sounds like an OS X software problem which could be fixed with an update.

Stuart

21. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, i've done all that stuff and it hasn't helped. though it does seem to be true that seeping in windows works (xp for me)

oohhhhhhhh the ironing.

22. deathshrub macrumors 6502

The solution is to call Apple and get your computer replaced. The machines that exhibit this problem are defective.

23. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i'm with ya on that one. planning on doing that tomorrow or the next day.

24. junior77 macrumors regular

Hmm...I called apple when I first started having this issue and they offered to replace it if it continued to reboot. I've since reset the SMC & PRAM (once) and so far I've had 6 or so successful wake-from-sleep and no reboots.

I'm not saying it's 'fixed', but the problem seems to have gone away thus far. But if it creeps back...

25. stonebits macrumors newbie

I've had the same result -- I also never trust a fix like this until it has been working for a while, but I used to have 100% reboot after a long sleep (> 2 hours) and it has been fine since I reset the PRAM.