MacPro Squeaky Fan

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by flyingscott, May 9, 2008.

1. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Here's a bummer. The whole machine has to come apart to replace that fan. CPUS have to come out and everything. Poor design if you ask me.

You can't spray anything in a computer fan. Replacing it is all you can do. You could unplug it but thats about it.

3. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

That's what I was afraid of... I guess I will just live with it.

I would be willing to dismantle it myself, vs taking it to apple, but they probably won't just send me a replacement fan.

It seems to come an go, I will just turn my music up a bit more. ;)

4. peejack macrumors 6502a

5. Greenbird600 macrumors member

I know how you feel, My front fan module is making the same noise, and I can't for the life of me find any sort of replacement parts. I guess I'm a little luckier, because you can pretty easily remove the front fan module but no one sells a replacement so its not very helpful. I was thinking about trying some WD-40 on it, but I'm very reluctant to do that, because I'm afraid once the fan starts spinning its gonna go every where inside the case.

6. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Never use WD-40 on something like a fan. It's not a lubricant. Google something like "noisy fan pc" and you'll find tons of articles on how to help quiet a noisy fan. I forget exactly, but I think in a pinch they recommend 3-in-1 oil.

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Is it still under AppleCare? Thats probably something they would fix.

8. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Yeah, it's still under apple care, I just don't want to deal with apple on this issue. I live too far from an apple store, I don't trust them to dismantle the machine, and I think the replacement fan will probably have the same issue.

It seems to have stopped for the time being.

Again... not a huge deal, just a bit annoying.

9. Greenbird600 macrumors member

yeah I really didn't want to go the wd-40 route. I'm think of trying to replace it with a non apple fan, because finding the same one inside the case has been almost impossible. I've found one for a G5 mac that seems really similar, but its 60$, so right now I'm thinking of trying a standard one that i can get for 5$ first.