Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Hello

hi, just wonder if there a sata adapter that allows me to use the SSD from the 2013 macpro?

Thanks.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Don't understand your question.

Is this an early 2013 MacPro or late 2013 nMP?

Since SSDs were factory options for both, what SSD are you referring to?

There are docks which have SATA ports.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The "trashcan" 2013 nMP uses a PCIe bus for the SSDs.
Proprietary connection, I believe.
You would need to find an adapter the gives you that interface, (PCIe to SATA)
I think that Macsales.com sells an external case for those, with USB 3 connection.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
The "trashcan" 2013 nMP uses a PCIe bus for the SSDs.
Proprietary connection, I believe.
You would need to find an adapter the gives you that interface, (PCIe to SATA)
I think that Macsales.com sells an external case for those, with USB 3 connection.

Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for except is there one that converts it into sata? To be used in other devices.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Here's one that will allow you to use it in a card slot of an older Macpro.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-M...-4X-adapter-/232076338162?hash=item3608d3e3f2

I did some searching, and there doesn't seem to be any solution for what you want to do.
I think that part of the reason is that the PCIe SSDs can be seriously faster than the SATA bus.
Perhaps there are timing issues with a PCIe storage device operating through an SATA bus.

The PCIe to USB 3.0 enclosure from OWC actually is a decent solution, as it is fairly small, and going through a USB 3.0 connection, will be nearly as fast as using one installed internally through SATA.

Reactions: rueyloon

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Here's one that will allow you to use it in a card slot of an older Macpro.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-M...-4X-adapter-/232076338162?hash=item3608d3e3f2

I did some searching, and there doesn't seem to be any solution for what you want to do.
I think that part of the reason is that the PCIe SSDs can be seriously faster than the SATA bus.
Perhaps there are timing issues with a PCIe storage device operating through an SATA bus.

The PCIe to USB 3.0 enclosure from OWC actually is a decent solution, as it is fairly small, and going through a USB 3.0 connection, will be nearly as fast as using one installed internally through SATA.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.