MacPro to be released alongside CS3? (+predictions)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mgkwho, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

    Mar 2, 2005
    I think Apple will release new MacPros alongside CS3.

    According to AppleInsider, they have been finished for a while. Many are plugging their release with NAB, but NAB has more so seen software releases from Apple than hardware. Last year, Apple released the MBP 17", but that doesn't mean MacPro=NAB. I see how they are releated, but Apple's history at NAB doesn't mean new MacPros.

    Final Cut is due for an upgrade. If Leopard is supposed to be revolutionary in core animation alone, and as speculated iWork/iLife, wouldn't Apple be changing their professional apps as well to take advantage of new technology? Therefore, I think Final Cut will take center stage. And possibly their other pro apps.

    If Apple does not release a product by April 10th (a Tuesday), they will have waited over 5 months without releasing a computer update. Apple has suggested that buyers are waiting for CS3 to buy MacPros; once CS3 is released wouldn't they want their new buyers to buy the latest MacPro?

    Of course, CS3 is not being released on the 27th-- it is only being announced. Maybe I should have waited until we hear the official release date of CS3.

    The hype, though, would probably be extended if Apple released Pro upgrades over time rather than all at once. (And it would give some of us comfort in the months we've been without anything except colored shuffles and airport extreme!)

    Maybe my timeline will make more sense:

    Apple has enough products in their current line up to release a product almost every week until the middle of June.

    Release Dates (13):
    March 20 :)apple:TV ships), 27 (CS3 is released, maybe MacPro too?); April 3, 10, 17 (NAB keynote is the 15th), 24; May 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; June 5, 12 (WWDC)

    Products (12):
    :apple:TV (today), Mac Mini, Mac Pro, Cinema Display, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, iPods, iPhone, Leopard + iSoftware, Final Cut et. al., and possibly xServe at WWDC? (haven't heard anything)

    Not to mention something unexpected up their sleeves, and popular accessories like iPod Hi-Fi, MightyMouse and Airport Express or other applications/.Mac.

    I think March 27th or a date separate from and before NAB will be used for the MacPros. They don't really need a special event, do they? They could group them with new cinema displays too, which probably wouldn't need a special event either.

    After that, I doubt there would be a release until pro software at NAB. After NAB comes April 27th which I'm guessing will forego anything from Apple.

    Next comes 5 Tuesdays in May, which I hope will bring Leopard+iSoftware, iMacs+MacMinis, and MacBooks. Whoa, out of breath!

    June will bring the iPhone and new MBPs, and WWDC :D! Maybe server upgrades at WWDC?

    July & August will get nothing. Maybe new server stuff will ship then. Or the rumored 12" tablet/ mini MacBook. I don't know.

    September will finally see the iPod widescreen video, a 2GB black shuffle, and 4,8,16 Nano capacities w/ orange.


    But MacPros do not equal NAB. In my opinion.

  2. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    Apple is a commercial company, not a non-profit charity orgnization. its primary goal is not consumer, it's profit.

    apple would want to maximize profit. therefore it will not release alongside CS3. because cs3 along will boost sale on mac pro, apple doesn't need to release mac pro then. apple will release mac pro on a later date, to boost sale on the machine again. apple then will release leopard, to boost sale again (well, leopard might come before mac pro... and it has some chance or releasing together with mac pro)...

    but mac pro will not be release the same time, or announced the same time as CS3.
  3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040


    Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    I feel that the next MacPro is more likely going to be released with Leopard rather than with CS3.

    CS3 will boot MacPro sale, no matter if it's current Rev or not, there is plenty of pent-up demand.

    Besides, Apple has control over Leopard's release, not CS3. And since the next Rev of MacPro is rumored to have 8-cores available, and the Stokley-Seaburg chipset, and there is further rumor that Leopard has better multicore support beyond 4 cores, it seems logical that a MacPro 8-core and Leopard are a package deal.
  4. Mgkwho thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 2, 2005
    If you're using the argument that hardware and Leopard are package deals, why not release all of Apple's computer line alongside Leopard? From what I've heard, they all are taking huge advantage of the new technologies in Leopard.

    I understand that CS3 is Adobe's baby, and Apple is a business and therefore interested in profit.

    But I'm trying to choose an event besides NAB where MacPros themselves will be released. If AppleInsider is correct, and they really have been finished for a few months, surely Apple wouldn't wait until WWDC to release them? That's lost profit right there.

    NAB isn't owned by Apple. But Apple releases software that is related to NAB. To me it makes sense that they would release the MacPro around the time when CS3 comes out, because in part the MacPro is associated with CS3. That's not an end-all be-all statement, but there is truth to it.

    If CS3 comes just after NAB, and NAB only sees pro apps from Apple, and Apple won't release products within a week of eachother, wouldn't it make sense to release the MacPro before NAB? They wouldn't have a chance after NAB because of Leopard; they'd have to wait until WWDC which as explained above seems illogical. Assuming they're interested in tying it with CS3, which I really think they are.

    Two years ago Apple released a MacPro in April. Besides this, in the last five years it's been released in June at the earliest during the year. They're past their average. It's time for an update. NAB is 26 days from now; too far.

  5. RichP macrumors 68000


    Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    Maybe apple is going to release all their new machines at one time, alongside Leopard :D

    The 8-Core is exotic, but there isnt really a need for it beyond the "look at me" ness of it, except for a very select group of users, and even then, its in an even rarer scenario that those users are going to see a performance jump compared to the current quad 3.0.

    We may not see 8 core until there is a new bus to support them properly, and the price is a bit more reasonable so they arent 4K machines.

    Seems like most new stuff coming out is Leopard dependent.
  6. princealfie macrumors 68030


    Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    Also doesn't the programming have to be built to take advantage of 8 cores? I wouldn't see much of a performance jump from 4 to 8 core in any case unless the software can take advantage of that.
  7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040


    Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

    While it's true that 8 cores may not be fully used, probably not any improvement vs. todays 4-core, however, in 2 years...

Share This Page