MacPro to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kraftwerk9, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Kraftwerk9 macrumors newbie

Hi People.
    I know this sounds very basic for most of you , but I have to ask you this.
    How do I connect my Macpro to my TV, so that I can see, for example, youtube and all? Audio is not that important, because I can hear that from my speaker which is connected to macpro.
    If there is such an adopter , please let me know.
    Thank you all in advance!

2. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

it all depends on your TV.. if you have a TV with HDMI, or a VGA input then its pretty straightforward, buy a DVI-HDMI or DVI-VGA cable, or use the DVI-VGA adaptor that came with the MacPro, and simply use a VGA-VGA cable.

if your TV relies on composite or S-Video connectors, then you will need to buy Apple's DVI to Video adaptor (http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A) and in all cases treat your TV as an monitor.. you have the choice of using it as your sole display, or to extend your desktop over 2 screens, or to mirror your display. Mac OS will usually automatically select your connected displays, otherwise go to Displays in System Preferences and arrange things your way.

ps. buy some speakers or a 3.5mm->phono cable.. why spend all that money on a MacPro only to rely on its tinny backup speaker??? :eek:

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I use a DVI-VGA adapter to connect my Mac Pro to my TV at the moment. Unfortunately, this does not take advantage of the maximum resolution the TV offers, but for video and the like it's adequate. Sound goes through a 1/8" audio cable plugged into our surround sound. It's easy enough to set up.

:)