MacPro: USB 3.0 and Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by southerndoc, Jul 1, 2009.

1. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

So I know Blu-ray is wishful thinking, but I wonder when USB 3.0 will come to the mac pro? An article on a competing website mentioned PC manufacturers will likely bring USB 3.0 to PC's at the end of this year.

I'm looking to trade up my iMac to a Mac Pro, but have been holding off until USB 3.0 and Blu-ray are adopted.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will likely have a long wait then
    Apple has shown not real desire to implement Blu-Ray

USB 3.0 will come, but they are not likely to an early adopter
    Even when it first comes on the scene, there won't be much that utilizes it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Then you have a wait ahead of you...

1. USB 3.0 won't be in an Apple machine until 2010 at the earliest.

2. Apple has shown zero interest in implementing Blu-ray for the last couple of years and I doubt they'll change their stance on that any time soon. So for now (and the foreseeable future), it's third-party drives for BD data burning only, unless of course you don't mind booting into Windows.

Do a search next time. These two topics have been beaten to death many times over.

4. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I'm in London with a slow internet connection. My patience isn't that great.

Which third-party Blu-ray writers are compatible with Macs?

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Any third-party BD writer with the correct interface will work in a MP.

2009 models use SATA for the internal ODD bays, whereas 2006/2008 models use PATA.

MCE Technologies makes MP-specific BD writers. Other brands will work, but you'll have to remove the bezel for proper case fitting.

An another option would be an external model that works over USB or FW.

6. awesomedeluxe macrumors member

I'm not sure there's even confirmation that Snow Leopard has USB 3.0 drivers, is there? I mean I'm sure they're working on it but I don't remember hearing anything specific like I have with Linux and Windows 7.

Still, you will probably see USB 3.0 a long time before Blu-ray.

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

[​IMG]

I recommend the BD drive in the picture. I have it fitted into the second drive bay and have BD under Windows. Under OS X it is working as a DVD writer so there is some hope it will work when and if Apple stop beeing so anal about BD.

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Hee-hee :D

Anyone here remember when Apple was staunchly refusing to acknowledge that USB 2.0 existed? Good times... Showing friends your shiny new PowerBook and showing off all that it would do, then wincing when someone stuck in a thumbdrive and copied a few things, and asked you why it was taking so long.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

That drive only reads blu-rays. You want the LG-GGW H20L if you want to burn BDs. It's only $160 at NewEgg, now - a good price. As for burning BDs, you can already do it in the finder - I have - or use Toast or Encore to burn video BDs. It's quite handy for back-up purposes.

10. kirreip macrumors regular

there is allways the possibility to buy a USB 3.0 PCI-card. That's the advantage of having a MacPro. But this only works if you can get some drivers for it...

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

12. kirreip macrumors regular

Well, since the MacPro only has PCIe slots, yes that's what I meant :rolleyes:

13. netkas macrumors 65816

14. kirreip macrumors regular

15. California macrumors 68040

California

I was just musing on why I am so obsessed with Apple and your post made me laugh about the ... good times of 1.0 USB and other slow weird Apple affectations of a few years ago.

The precise moment I became an Apple freak is because I so LOVED my original Titanium Powerbook that cost me 2500 dollars plus... and one day I had a meeting with a new business partner and that person was completely underwhelmed by the Tibook, which tho pristine, was three years old at that moment in time.

Their two year old Dell laptop kicked its butt in a lot of ways. Seriously kicked the Tibook's butt.

That was the moment I freaked into Apple obessiveness. I could not understand how a Windoze person did not see how great my Tibook was and set out, thirty or forty laptops later (I kid you not, I have owned nearly every Tibook, iBook Powermac, iMac, Mac Mini Cube MacBook Powerbook ever made in the four years since...) I have to wean myself off being addicted to buying and selling my machines.. this is my second quad g5, and my fifth Powermac G5 that I have owned.

At least I am not an iPod fanatic, well a little bit.

And I'm about to buy the new 13" MBP after owning the first two al MacBooks and selling them.

Your comment about how Apple refused to acknowledge 2.0 USB even existed... good times! brought the truth to light. I am an enabler for Apple's flaws.

16. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Yikes. That might be the first confession I'd ever heard from someone that they were an enabler.

17. California macrumors 68040

California

It felt good to "share"...

18. motox25 macrumors member

So basically what your saying is I can add a third party brand blu-ray drive to my mac pro such as an LG, remove the front bezel and it would recognize it? Would OSX recognize it for blu-ray movie playback?

19. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It would recognize the drive as a read/write device and that's it. There is no commercial BD movie playback anywhere in OS X. The only way to play commercial BD movies on a Mac is to run Windows. Both your graphics card and display need to be HDCP compliant, too.

20. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This is correct. The only commercial BD playback is to be had through windows. We're hoping this will change, but have seen no evidence that it will. You can burn data BDs and BD movies, though.

21. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

2006/2008 models also have ODD-SATA ports on the logic board. They can be connected to BD-ROM and BD-R drives in OS X and Windows. The problem is that under OS X they will only function as DVD drives and for proper use under Windows you have to enable AHCI mode, which is a bit tricky. My pic above shows the ODD-SATA ports enabled.

22. motox25 macrumors member

Well here is my personal opinion on blu-ray. I think disk media altogether will end with the DVD and go all digital via on demand and download services unless Sony can drop prices of blu-ray disk movies and if blu-ray disk drives become a standard in consumer electronics. I for one do not buy blu-ray movies anymore because I cannot A) copy them to my computer to rip to my iPhone and stream to my xbox 360 or B) play in my MacBook DVD drive when I'm on the road. Its as simple as that. At the moment blu-ray is not worth those cons including the higher price for just a better picture.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

On Demand services increasing in popularity will depend on a couple of things though.

1. Increased bandwidth (massive bump to ~ 750MB/s or ~ 6.0Gb/s). Compression could lower the rate, but it would still be far more than consumers have available ATM. ;) :p And of course, if compression is used, and certainly would be, they'd have to have a system that can uncompress it on the fly, unless the file is downloaded in it's entirety first, then viewed. So the better the compression, the faster/more capable a system a consumer must have to decode it for playback in real time.

2. No caps on data capacities. Or at least set very high, where most usage wouldn't result in their band dropping to minuscule speeds, their account frozen, or massive penalties on the next bill. ;)

24. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you want top quality there is no alernative to blu-ray. The only alternative I know is satellite based HDTV which also delivers 1080p with h.264 on a few expensive pay per view channels.

25. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

We hear this opinion from people who don't need or want a better picture fairly regularly. Some of us like backing things up or sending large chunks of HD video to clients, you know. A BD is easier than shipping a HDD and BD is becoming affordable faster than DVD ever did. Just wait and soon everybody will be using DVDs like CDs and BD will become the new DVD. Dissenting opinions...Go!