Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digiegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Hey guys,
I just got a new harddrive, 10000RPM WD 300GB Raptor.
I decided to install Vista 64bit in it.

My comp spec.
Mac Pro 3.2ghz 8 Core.
8800GTS (Latest nvidia driver installed) 180.48
WD 300GB VelociRaptor HD.
Vista Ultimate 64bit. SP1

I mean... when I had XP 64bit installed before it caused nothing like this... It ran so smoothly at the highest setting. Now after I upgrade to Vista ultimate 64bit, I just get horrible framerates.
Aero is turned off and I optimized my Vista.

What's going on? Can someone point me to the right direction here?

*Based on World of warcraft performance

MKnight

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
You should leave Aero turned ON as this can decrease system stability and performance. If you have it off it does not use the more stable/reliable way of rendering windows which is straight from the GPU similar to how Quartz does it with OGL on OSX.

When you say you get horrible framerates, what is horrible to you? What did you get before? Can you provide me with some numbers??

digiegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
right now im getting like 20-30...
I don't know about what I had before but it was smoother...

cg165

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

digiegg said:
right now im getting like 20-30...
I don't know about what I had before but it was smoother...

Well with vista you're getting directx 10 which looks better but gives a bigger performance hit. Actually, what game are you talking about? I'm guessing crysis because that should be the only game you get that low of a frame rate with your system. Scan for
Spyware, get the windows update. Try smc fan control in OSX (set them high then restart into windows). Turn aa and af off and see if that helps. I gave general answers because I don't know any more
Specifics.

MKnight

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Can you check to see if you have "force vsync" on? That will lock the framerate to the refresh rate of your display.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Out of curiosity... why are you running WoW in Bootcamp?

Just install the MAC version of WoW. Let it run native. Addons/etc from curse.com and so forth are all universal so it wont matter what OS you're in.

I installed it,WOTLK included, on my MBP once I got it the other day and it runs phenominal under OS X. Smooth as can be running around Dalaran (sp?) during populated times with almost everything on high (few things on medium) and max resolution.

D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.