MacPro Vs MacBook render... the same?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by the vj, Mar 30, 2009.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

Ok

I am doing the same render in both computers, I am rendering a 3D bottle cap turning around for 20 seconds at the fullest resolution. This is in Lightwave.

Now I have 2 computers competting, a Mac Book and a Mac Book Pro, and the Mac Pro is giving me just 1 hour less in rendering than the Mac Book ¿?

The thing is the aspects on both machines, look:

Mac Pro
    Processors: 8 cores of 2.6 each
    Ram: 10GB

Mac Book Pro:
    Processor: 2 cores of 2.4
    Ram: 2GB

How come a Mac Book Pro that is so inferior in aspects, not to mention is more than a year older than the Mac Pro, has almost equal rendering time than the Mac Pro?

Take a look at the picture attached.

Attached Files:

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

1 hour less for rendering sounds like a huge difference. I wouldn't call the two times almost equal. :confused:

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How many cores and how much RAM can Lightwave make active use of?

4. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here they are with the CPU. I have only Safari, MS messenger and now Photoshop open. I mean, no actual processor consuming.

The Mac Pro is not actually using all the processing while the Mac Book is.

The Mac Book has the fan running, the Mac Pro doesn't.

I mean... why the Mac Pro is not using even 50% of it's capacity?

Attached Files:

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't know anything about Lightwave, but I notice on the Mac Pro, you have 8 render threads, and on the MacBook Pro you have 16 render threads. Also, on the "time remaining" it looks like 22 min left on the MacPro, and 2hr and 52 min left on the MBP. That's 2.5 hours difference. Seems pretty substantial. How long did it take total for the Mac Pro? Other than that it looks like Lightwave needs to update its software to be able to use 8 cores.

As a side note, think about how much more you could be doing with the Mac Pro in other applications, doing more work, while it renders faster. The MBP would be hard pressed to do any multitasking while maxed out rendering.

Edit: I see the time elapsed now, and yeah, it's only 50 min difference total. 888 min. vs. 838 min on the Mac Pro. That does seem slower than you'd expect. I'm gonna go with Lightwave needs updating.

6. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just messed up with Lighwave in the Mac Pro and activated the 32 threads but only uses 16.

Now all the processors are working and the render is 6 hours even it has been running for 36 minutes already and still showing the same 6 hours :confused:

Lets see.

7. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

It also seems you have less passes enabled on the MacBook, for some reason. You should check that.

And yes, apparently Lightwave's utilization of all the 8 cores sucks :p