MacPro with 4 hard drives ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michaelsviews, Dec 28, 2008.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Having NOT owned one and contemplating getting one and filling the HD bays up , can this be setup as a file server persay with the NON server OS?

I know this may sound ridiculous, but hey I asked.

Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm I have never thought about that, but my answer would be yes and no. You can direct a file server to a drive, but your MacPro must always be on if you intend to serve some sort of files.

You can get a MacPro and use an external NAS drive. I do this and once I set it up, I can access the NAS drive from anywhere. The macpro is not necessary to use a NAS drive, it just happens to be my setup.

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

YES! Mac OS X client can pretty much do anything that Mac OS X server does with just a little more work. If all you want to do serve files via AFP, FTP, HTTP or SMB then you are good to go with 10.5 client by just checking a few boxes under System Preference.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I agree the Mac Pro is more than capable with the desktop OS. I do say its extreme overkill if Fileserving is all its going to be doing tho (I have just upgrded my NAS by building a quality little Quad core PC with 4GBRam and good components - cos me under £400).

If It must be a Mac then getting a Quad (single CPU) Xeon 2.8 would be an awesome machine. the RAID built into OS X is very good.

:)

5. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

File Server question

Thank you all for your replies I appreciate it

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Ummm...... OK. I'm going to assume that because is says "macrumors newbie" under your name, that you clicked the wrong button while trying to post a new thread and while reading this one. No problem, just navigate your way to the "iMac" sections of this forum then click "new thread" at the upper left side of the page, right above the forum stickies.

7. jasleinstein macrumors newbie

Mac Pro as a file server

On extra note. I am a photographer and we use a Mac Pro (2008, intel quad) as a file server. We have five 1 TB drives and three 1.5 TB drives attached to an Areca 1680 raid card, for two file stores, 1 - 4TB, 1 3TB.
    We also use Link aggregation between our two Mac Pro desktops and the Mac Pro "server". performance on the desktop with network files is nearly the same as local mounted files. you'll need to find an ethernet switch that supports link aggregation. We use some cheap Linksys SLM2008s we found on buy.com.

8. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Any chance you could elaborate on this, "System Preferences"

There is load balancing also , that I am interested in, if you or anyone else has an information / knowledge about this.

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

System Preferences is like the Control Panel in widows.

You can access it from the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner of the screen or in the Dock. The icon you want to look for in System Preferences is "Sharing".

What kind of load balancing do you want to do? Are you thinking along the lines of disturbed computing/clustering or ethernet link aggregation?