MacPro with 8800GT and 500GB not quiet? help!!! me!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cromas, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Cromas macrumors member

Cromas

hi there! I need buy tomorrow a mac pro 2.8, I read a lot about that are a so silence machine quiet, that sounds perfect, but I think, if add the 8800GT and more hard drive 500GB by example, the sound of the machine increse? that are not the same quiet sound? more work or fans or something... I think?

PLAESE HELP ME SOME COMPARATION ABOUT THAT? I want more performance but same quiet machine :)

thanks!!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have three hard drives, and my machine is still whisper-quiet. The only time you should hear the 8800 GT is if you're playing a graphics-intensive game and the fans spin up. Otherwise you'll be fine.

3. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I have the 2x2.8, 8800 and 3x500gb hard drives. Everything is extremely quiet, so much that I can sleep while the computer is still on.

Also, if you want advice i'd suggest writing with better grammar lol :p

4. MikeL macrumors 6502

I've got a 2.8 with the 8800 GT, and it's very quiet. I've got four drives in the case. I often have it crunching video or running distributed computing projects, so I max out the CPUs regularly.

Working hard, it's as quiet as any desktop system I've had. The fans are usually turning from 500-700rpm, but they seem to be very high-quality and well-balanced. I can't hear them.

It's much, much quieter than my G5. I've been very happy with that.

Changing hard drive size isn't going to impact your sound levels in and of itself. Some drives make less noise than others. That's a function of their design and the technologies they use rather than their capacity.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I agree about the grammar! Also, the thread title is misleading. I thought you already had a MP with those specs and it was not quiet..

6. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I've got a dual 2.8 & 8800GT, 3 internal drives & I'm working with 1280x720 After Effects projects and I can't hear it at all... it's just to the lower right of me. My G-RAID2 on my desk makes more noise... and if my G4 Quicksilver is running on the other side of the office, it's so loud I can't hear anything! ;)

I agree that the thread title is misleading as well...

7. Cromas thread starter macrumors member

Cromas

thanks to all and who cares about the grammar

Hi thanks to all, I buy my Mac Pro 3.2 tomorrow... My english its not my native language... the point its all you understand my question for me thats its the important.

I want peaceful with my mac, I have a dualcore 2.3 powermac... are quiet but I think that new mac pro are moreeeee quiet.

8. Cromas thread starter macrumors member

Cromas

and what about the diference 320gb 8mb / 500gb 16mb

and what about the diference 320gb 8mb / 500gb 16mb on speed for the 8mb vrs 16mb, a double velocity on hard disk read?

thanks guys, and sorry my english for all...

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I would recommend getting a third party hard drive. You will pay the same, if not less, but you will then have two hard drives.