MacPro with Blu-ray drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pagansoul, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Mac OS X cant play Blu-ray movies but you can however burn data to Blu-ray discs from the Finder or use Toast to burn data or movie projects.

you will have to play Blu-ray movies in Windows using software such as PowerDVD or AnyDVD

if you want one then sure, go for it! make sure to get an IDE/PATA drive as thats what the optical drives in the Mac Pro use.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

$500?! HA! I got a 6x Blu-ray burner/HD DVD player for $327 four months ago.

4. ZeelessOne macrumors member

Also realize that the day Mac OS X is able to play Blu-Ray DVDs, this drive will be ready for that.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

@ Newegg ay? ;)

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

NowDirect. I posted here about it earlier because I thought it was a scam site; they sell things for so much less than anywhere else.

TEG said it wasn't, I took a chance, I got my GGW-H20L two days later for $327 (It's $259 there now... :p) and I hadn't even paid for expedited shipping. I don't have a Mac Pro to put it in, but I wanted to get it when I did because HD DVD had just been killed and I wanted to preserve a piece of history. I never imagined that LG would keep SELLING them.

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Interesting, that's the newly released LG GBW-H20L. (Supposedly drops HD-ROM capabilities of the LG GGW-H20L for a price drop) I wonder if it has the same firmware through SATA issues that the GGW had with toast? Either way, that price is solid enough to be a buy, in my opinion. Maybe after my next paycheck...

8. idyll macrumors 6502

I think Toast lets you use Blu Ray CDs with your SuperDrive? I remember something like that when I installed it

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ Toast will allow you to burn data to blu-ray and so will the Finder ;)… how ever to watch a blu-ray movie you need windows software.

10. pprior macrumors 65816

Good price, but SATA drive, won't work with cabling in the mac unless you fish another cable up there.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And that's not too hard. Just grab a 24" or longer SATA cable. Preferably with a 90 degree turn at one end.

12. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I've been away from the Apple scene for a while, can someone fill me in on why Apple still hasn't given its built in DVD Player to play Blu-Ray movies? I assume it has something to do with HDCP, no?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep. That and Blu-ray's obscene power draw in portables.

Anyway, WHY would you want a Blu-ray drive from APPLE?! All the people complaining about Apple not offering one will turn right around and complain that it's hundreds of dollars more than a normal Blu-ray drive (because it will be, obviously, it's Apple).

14. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Every other laptop maker has managed to get a Blu-Ray drive in their laptops without too much trouble in terms of battery life, Apple should have no problem doing the same. Of course, I could say the same thing about graphics cards :rolleyes:

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yep. Apple charges $99 to add a second SuperDrive to a Mac Pro and it's the same drive you can buy for a 1/3 of the price on Newegg. I can see a Blu-ray option on Apple cost at least $800 straight from them.

16. wflan macrumors newbie

I recall talk about 'approved devices' and all sorts of DRM BS regarding blu-ray. will a standard DVI display work with blu ray in windows?

can parallels manage it or do I need a windows partition under boot camp?

Any particular drive that's got a good feature set or on that I should stay away from?

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Don't revive two month old threads.
    2. No, the display has to be HDCP compatible, as does the motherboard, graphics card, and OS.

18. wflan macrumors newbie

sorry, I figured that a one month old zombie thread was better than a duplicate...

If I have a Mac Pro and a DVI only display, am I simply SOL in the blu-Ray game, data discs excepted?

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It doesn't necessary have to be HDCP compatible, Slysoft AnyDVD HD.;)

They should make an OS X version. It would probably be a great market boost for them. Though there are many more Windows users they are spending about $500 on average for a computer while Mac Users are spending well over $1000 for new computers. Who is more likely to fork over the money for a Blu-Ray drive and this software.

20. Supaklaw macrumors regular

What is your monitor? You can always run a DVI-HDMI cable to your TV, assuming you have a HDTV.

21. wflan macrumors newbie

an Apple 23"... with the sly software, it looks like I don't need to adapt anything! A+ on the link

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only works in Windows, though.

23. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Once they have renewed mac mini, the whole mac line will have enough cpu/gpu power to playback bd movies.
    Then there might be a possibility.
    Definetely spring 2009 when fcs3 is due...

24. thunderclap macrumors 6502a