MacPro won't boot from install DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leighno5, Jun 20, 2011.

1. leighno5 macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a Mac Pro without a hard drive. I installed a 500 gig SATA and I'm trying to install Snow Leopard from the retail install DVD but I'm not having any luck getting the Mac Pro to boot from the DVD. The Mac Pro is from "early 2008" and I think it may have come with 10.5.x. I have the install DVD in the drive and I hold down "c" when I power it up, and I can hear the DVD being accessed, but it just goes to a grey screen with a blinking folder with a "?" on it. Anyone know how I can get this thing to boot off a standard, $30 retail Snow Leopard (10.6) install DVD?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried booting via holding down the OPTION key.

3. leighno5 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't - what is the option key on a non-Mac keyboard? I have a regular Dell keyboard here

4. simsaladimbamba

alt.

5. leighno5 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just tried that, by holding down the option key, and that brought me to a screen with a padlock and a password entry field. No idea...

6. simsaladimbamba

That is a firmware password. Do you have it by any chance?
    You may need to reset it.

7. leighno5 thread starter macrumors newbie

That worked. I was able to reset the PRAM to bypass the firmware password, then holding down "option" as opposed to "c" was able to recognize the Install CD - thank you very much