MacPro Xeon processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Peter S., May 23, 2008.

1. Peter S. macrumors newbie

Peter S.

Hmm, sorry if this has been up before, but the only notice I've ever seen reagarding upgrading an "old" MacPro to a newer Xeon processoer was something on the french site Hardmac, so here I go:

Is it possible to exchange an old set of Xeon (Woodcrest) 2.0 Ghz with something newer like the Xeon E3110 3.0 Ghz or perhaps a Quad Core Xeon X3320?

I know its a hassle getting to the processors in the MacPro, but is there some technical dingy that makes it nofunctional, even if the socket is the same?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I've not seen anything that guarantees that Penryn based Xeon processors will work in the older Mac Pros, however there should be no reason why they wouldn't. You will need to look at the 5400 series processors, the 1333 MHz FSB ones though. The 3300 series are single socket processors that use the same socket as the consumer desktop processors (socket 775 as opposed to the Xeon's 771).

You're going to be looking at around $700 retail for two 2.5GHz quadcores though (minimum I'd look at), so you might find it better to sell your MP and buy the single 2.8GHz quad core unless you need those 8 cores.

3. Peter S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Peter S.

K, thanks for the info, didn't know about the two sockets!

But it would mean that something like Intel Xeon E5420 2,5GHz, FSB1333, 12MB should work?

In Denmark they're like $840 for a pair incl. 25% sales tax.

I know it'll proberly would be wiser to sell my old MacPro and buy a new, but I kinda like it and would like to make it faster still. And I recently upgraded the graphics card to the 8800.

4. aibo macrumors 6502

like you said, it makes zero sense financially, so I don't think you're going to find anyone who's actually tried it to verify whether it works.

5. Peter S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Peter S.

Hmm!

Just have to take the plunge, since no one knows much (or anything, at all)!

In the past it didn't make much sense to (processor) upgrade a Mac, but that didn't stop many from doing it (my self incl.), but now when we got access to the same processors as the wintel people, now no one does it, strange?

For as little as $500 I can get double the performace (got a Dual Core 2.0 ghz now) with the Quad-Core Xeon E5405 2 GHz (if it works). And still keep my 2 graphics cards and 5 harddrives.

6. dusanv macrumors 6502

There's only one report here (search for Lsted1st.com) that first gen MP doesn't work with Penryn based chips. It will work fine with any Clovertown/Woodcrest previous gen chip (I have a pair of Clovertown x5345s in mine). If you do decide to do it, post back the results.

7. Peter S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Peter S.

Ahh thats was the report I couldn't find.

Anyway u changed yours, so it's dooable, cool!

But if the 54XX don't work, the cheapest option would then be (for me), the 2.0 Ghz Quad-Core Xeon E5335, wich cost about $470 for a pair.

8. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Throwing more cores at it might not make that big of an improvement. I do know there are some 3 ghrz duals for that platform (2x2). Single threaded apps will take more advantage of them then more cores. I think the extra clock speed would be better money spent then more cores.

9. Peter S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Peter S.

I was just going 4 most megahetz pr. buck, and where I live it's apparently the Quad E5335 that gives you that.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Hi,

I still have my pair of 2.66 GHz 5150s that I replaced with their quad core versions. PM me if interested.

11. Peter S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Peter S.

What it is called name/number? The Quad Core version, that you have installed?

And what would you like to have for the old ones?

12. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

The replacements are 2.66 GHz X5355 processors. They're the same clock speed as the duals and, to be honest, I haven't noticed much of an improvement in speed until I'm doing heavy lifting with multiple applications (or instances thereof). You'll see a bigger improvement from the increased clock speed, I reckon.

I'll be looking for £125 each plus postage of around £10 within the EU.