MacPro'12 + Mini'12 Combo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by twietee, Jun 24, 2012.

1. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

As I'm in the market for a new desktop for my 'homework', and some nice suggestions were made in another thread - which I don't want to take hostage - some questions for you...suggestions very much appreciated.

Right now, I have an ancient E8400 with 4GB Ram and a 8800GTS..working on private projects and ripping through my DVD/BluRay collection. I almost exclusivly work with Rhino3d, Maxwell, PS and CAD on XP. I do want to have 2 OSs ,hence the mac. I do not need the so called latest and greatest (obviously :eek:) but want a much faster system - especially for rendering as I'm tired of those 15h+ sessions.

Question: Would you consider the MacPro 2.4 12-core superior to the 3.33 Hex with 1-2 Server-Minis connected as render-nodes? The latter has the nice side-effect of a possible htpc for my movies.
    Is there any problem if I would insert a i.e. Quadro4000 for the use under windows (as it's cheaper and all those programs work on both OS)? So that the Mac just operates with the stock card.

Thank's a lot!

2. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

I guess it would depend on your usage. I'm not a video guy, but I'd bet if you tend to have many smaller projects, off loading them to a higher clocked mini with newer achatecture would probably be faster. However, if your projects are large and require a lot of RAM, the mini may not be an option.