MacPro3,1 and PCI Express Slot/Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ellabella1111, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ellabella1111 macrumors newbie

I've been editing on Final Cut for a few years for clients and am finally making the jump to HD. I picked up a used MacPro3,1 and am not sure what is best video card to buy for uncompressed HD video editing. I don't know how to tell whether my computer has a PCI Express Slot..this is my main question...this will, from what I understand, reveal to me whether Intensity Pro or Decklink HD card will be better...tried searching the forum but couldn't find this specific case. I bought a Samsung LCD that won't work until I get a card with HDMI output, to begin with (the DVI connectors, even with HDMI-DVI cord) won't work into the Samsung....need to get going on this project YESTERDAY for new client and hitting the proverbial roadblocks at each turn. My main question is about the Express Slot...I've never put in a new video card..this computer has the original ATI Radeon HD 2600....I'm also assuming I don't have to buy anything other than the card. With all the research I'm doing to get from here to a workflow, I would GREATLY appreciate an answer to this question!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

All the slots are PCIe (PCI Express).

Slots 1 & 2 are 16x lanes, at PCIe 2.0 specification (500MB/s per lane).
    Slots 3 & 4 are 4x lanes, at PCIE 1.0 specification (250MB/s per lane).

Full 2008 Specifications Page

3. ellabella1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacPro3,1 and PCI Express

THANKS for your time taken to help me out....I'm one step closer now...and having a link to the specs was great. I really appreciate it!

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: NP. :)