Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
ohh a new BR! missed this one

just installed it now, no change on the 2 bug reports I Have with Apple on the No HDMI/DP Audio and no USB 3.0 booting (there still open, but not had any correspondence for months now)

but I did notice that one of the microsoft Certs have vanished...

upload_2019-2-8_3-6-4.png

I wonder if the 141 ROM actively removed it or if it was something else I may have done between taking my last 140 ROM dump and now...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

just installed it now, no change on the 2 bug reports I Have with Apple on the No HDMI/DP Audio and no USB 3.0 booting (there still open, but not had any correspondence for months now)

View attachment 820557

I wonder if the 141 ROM actively removed it or if it was something else I may have done between taking my last 140 ROM dump and now...

That’s pretty interesting actually. It would be great if APPL were actually working to mitigate that problem.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011

View attachment 820557

FWIW the same thing happened to me after installing 140.0.0.0.0 (binwalks here). My progression was:

1. Flashed 138.0.0.0.0 - no certs in binwalk
2. Installed Win10 in UEFI mode - ended up with two certs
3. Gave up on Win10 UEFI after I couldn't use the Startup Disk preference panel to switch to it. Reinstalled Win10 in BIOS mode
4. Flashed 140.0.0.0.0 - one cert disappeared in the binwalk I ran afterwards

I'm guessing if I hadn't switched my Win10 to BIOS mode though the missing cert would have reappeared.

Are you still actively using UEFI Win10? If so, maybe keep checking and see if the second cert comes back.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Just some longer picture thinking, but I'm assuming there were no release notes to explain the differences with the new 141.0.0.0 firmware from the previous 140.0.0.0. So without your tinkering and analysis @tsialex , how will we know that everything we get by upgrading to 141.0.0.0 (eventually, when it's final) will in fact be "healthy" for us (i.e. NVMe boot will persist and there won't be any back grades)? Sure would love to be a fly on the wall watching the Apple engineers working on these FW upgrades.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
FWIW the same thing happened to me after installing 140.0.0.0.0 (binwalks here). My progression was:

1. Flashed 138.0.0.0.0 - no certs in binwalk
2. Installed Win10 in UEFI mode - ended up with two certs
3. Gave up on Win10 UEFI after I couldn't use the Startup Disk preference panel to switch to it. Reinstalled Win10 in BIOS mode
4. Flashed 140.0.0.0.0 - one cert disappeared in the binwalk I ran afterwards

I'm guessing if I hadn't switched my Win10 to BIOS mode though the missing cert would have reappeared.

Are you still actively using UEFI Win10? If so, maybe keep checking and see if the second cert comes back.

indeed I actively use windows 10 in UEFI mode quite heavily

and have updated it (from 1703 to 1709 to 1803 to 1809 etc) and my BootROM many times without many issues

just now I booted into windows to have a quick game of BeamNG Drive and to grab a CPU Z validation

which you can find here http://valid.x86.fr/52v2ti my benchmark points are up by about 100 if that means anything...

and as for the certs, indeed after booting into windows again, a second Cert has shown up again

upload_2019-2-8_21-22-25.png

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
That would be a matter of driver support, not firmware.

Yes sorry, wrote way too quickly. Guess I’m still hoping for something like bootscreen as Nvidia 20xx series have.

That of course has nothing to do with acceleration, so I understand my comment was out of place.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Yes sorry, wrote way too quickly. Guess I’m still expecting something like bootscreen as Nvidia 20** series have.

That of course has nothing to do with acceleration, so I understand my comment was out of place.
Why the Mac Pro Firmware update will provide boot screens for a GPU that don’t have Mac EFI?

monoton

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Oslo / Tokyo
Anyone tested if Radeon VII gets 3D accel with this build/firmware?

I have it installed in my 5,1 w/pixlas mod. Need access to the 10.14.4 Beta to know how far the driver has come. Mojave including 10.14.3 gives 2D, no rendering and compute.

Anyone who can let me know where the full installer for 10.14.4 Beta 2 is?
I follow the developer seeds, however by some weird error they don’t show up in Software Update...:/

Tried many times, also reinstalling the profile. Something is broken in the mechanism, bug..?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have it installed in my 5,1 w/pixlas mod. Need access to the 10.14.4 Beta to know how far the driver has come. Mojave including 10.14.3 gives 2D, no rendering and compute.

Anyone who can let me know where the full installer for 10.14.4 Beta 2 is?
I follow the developer seeds, however by some weird error they don’t show up in Software Update...:/

Tried many times, also reinstalling the profile. Something is broken in the mechanism, bug..?
10.14.4 DP2 don't have a full installer, it's a delta update one.

BTW, this is off-topic, better go to the two threads about Radeon VII and discuss there.

monoton

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Oslo / Tokyo
10.14.4 DP2 don't have a full installer, it's a delta update one.

BTW, this is off-topic, better go to the two threads about Radeon VII and discuss there.

Right, had in mind to test the 141.0.0.0.0 FW too. Though I guess boot-screen is a long-shot.

Do you have a workaround when it doesn’t show up? Dev profile is installed. So really strange. Only shows ordinary seeds. Or a direct download link?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Right, had in mind to test the 141.0.0.0.0 FW too. Though I guess boot-screen is a long-shot.

Do you have a workaround when it doesn’t show up? Dev profile is installed. So really strange. Only shows ordinary seeds. Or a direct download link?
This is off-topic…

Reactions: bsbeamer

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I will make one note in case it is helpful in diagnosing for anyone - have two SATA SSDs connected via PCIe on Apricorn Velocity Duo X2 (with updated firmware from Apricorn years ago) that very recently occasionally started not showing on the desktop when starting from a cold boot. The drives are fully accessible through finder and within all applications. Appears to be a purely "cosmetic" style issue. A shutdown and reboot fixes. Has happened maybe three times in the past two months. Waiting an extended period of time does not "fix" the issue. All direct SATA SSDs appear, as do all drives connected externally (currently via USB3). Have NOT installed that Innie workaround for external drive appearance and no desire to. On High Sierra 10.13.6 with firmware 140.0.0.0.0 and NVMe via PX1 for system drive.

Quick note for anyone who may also be experiencing this issue:
Just happened again, but this time one of the two drives in the Apricorn Velocity Duo X2 mounted on the desktop and the other did not. First time that happened. Both were fully accessible through finder. Shut down, restart from cold and both appear on desktop as expected. 140.0.0.0.0 firmware with High Sierra 17G5019.

Do wonder if there is an issue (or issue with compatibility/firmware) with the Apricorn Velocity Duo X2, but this is the only "issue" I'm experiencing with it and it is extremely random and not repeatable.

Reactions: tsialex

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
It was the macOS 10.13.5 full installer with the bad MP51.0087.B00 firmware, if I remember correctly.

So I recommend deleting all copy's of that 10.13.5 installer for not accidentally installing the MP51.0087.B00 firmware in the future.

Reactions: Speedstar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.